Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
MCMAN,

The 200 Revs Pretty fast but it does not have as strong of a hit like the 280. The 280 was so powerful that it would launch me to the top of a rock (that is when I didn't flip it first) and then it would carry me clear past the rock and generally out of bounds. I hated that. I weight about 130lbs. It goes up huge stuff as our champ rider Keith Wineland has ridden it in a few champ sections and was able to clean them. He just had to really give it the gas. That event was a 7,000' as well. I don't know what line you ride but in my opinion any many that is under 200 lbs could ride it in Intermediate and below with no trouble at all. My husband is about 175 and plans to keep it next year and get rid of his 280 pro. He is an intermediate rider. I have ridden a GG 200 TXT and it is NOTHING like the pro. If there was no such thing as a pro I would probably ride a 280TXT rather then a 200 but the Pro is much different. I hope that helps.

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Yes it is a 2003 and they did have an 02 but they did change the airbox and a few things from 2002 and 2003 on the 200. I have no clue about the green sticker thingy. You might need to ask a CA person that question.

PS There is a fella in NM that is in his 50's and rides a 200 and is very happy with it.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I agree with Girlrider. I've spent considerable time on a 200 Pro and can do anything on it that I can on my 280Pro...sometimes better, and I'm a good 200lbs. I know one expert rider up here that rides and loves a 200Pro, and he's at least 180lbs. Lack of power never seems to be an issue for him, except on real extreme climbs.

The 200 revs pretty quick, but is more forgiving than the 280 or even 250. That said, you may want to look at the 300. It apparently revs slower and makes gobs of torque and power, although I have yet to actually ride one myself yet. I really liked the 250 myself. Quick reving, but slightly more forgiving than the 280.

MCMAN56

Sep 5, 2000
I have ridded a 315 (2001) and really like the powerful but slow reving engine. However, it was tough to kick over. Does anyone have comparison opinions with othe brands? I haven't ridden one but the Scorpa sounds the smoothest and almost electric. Unfortunately, I hear it is sized for a large rider. (I'm 5'5")

MCMAN56

Sep 5, 2000
Waneg.....I did retard the timing and install Boysen reeds in my 270. That definitely helped. I'll have to give the Beta a try. The top riders in this area seem to favor that brand right now. I have been leaning towards a Sherco 290. It seems almost as light as the Gas Gas but a little stronger off idle and a little smoother.

Top Bottom