HELP 01 RM 125 top end!/ powervalve rod

RMrider38

Feb 25, 2004
hey today i just got a 2001 RM 125 from a friend at a GOOD prive , the only thing is i need to have the cylander " renickeld" is there any other way to go? welding? honing? the scratch is Very minor. ALSO i was looking at the powervalve rod that is sticking out of the case and it moves up and down freely with no force. is it ok? does it work correctly when the motor starts? PLEASE reply asap i need to get this fixed so i can make it to the next race in a couple weeks ! Thanks Everyone!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
With newer RM cylinder they are none borable besides getting it replated is better in the long run. I'd recommend going threw u.s. Chrome for that replating process. then upgrade the power actuating arm/system to the '02 parts it's a $40 part at most and it a simple swap but you will have to pull the side case to get at it. The '01 model was flawed it could develop freeplay and the arm would grind on the water pump gear. Causing metal shavings to float around in the bottom end causing damnage! I know of one case where it took out a tranny and one case where it ate the clutch.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I have the 01 250 and the power valve actuator does move freely, it works on centrifical force when the motor is running. It'll push up when reving and slide back down when off the throttle. I did have problems with the one I have, it broke the actuator twice along with the plastic clip, which was due to the powervalve being stuck in the port from carbon. Definately re-chrome as P1MP said, I had that done and it works the best.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
just retrofit the PV actuator arm from the 02rm125, there were some threads a while back that discussed this problem.

on the cylinder, have it rechromed by US chrome or you can have it bored and chromed to 134cc or 144cc by Eric Gorr who sponsors this site- these big bore kits do require some modification of the cases though, so you have to be a bit mechanically inclined.

check out

http://ericgorr.com/services/garage_sale.html

Eric currently has some cylinders that are ready to go so this will shorten turn around time also

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
i have an 01RM125 that sheared the powervalve clip inside the case.. i just repaird it with a new $4 clip and works great..

a way to find out if yours is attached is to take an 8mm ratched and take off the top mount, then see if you can take the clip out with no force, if not it is attached.. be careful not to drop anything as that might be more work then you want

RMrider38

Feb 25, 2004
me again with the 01 rm 125

hey i looked at the scratch on the cylander and i was wondering if i could just throw in a new piston kit because the scratch is 3/4 an in ch up and down on the barrel BUT it is VERRYY shallow like literally a pen head and its smooth.. would it be ok?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Take some emery paper and take off the glaze in the cylinder by using a twisting motion, up and down through it. It may be just fine. Look at the piston that was in it and see how much blow by is in that area of the scratch, there may not be any. You can have your cylinder brushed through and that may take out the scratch as well.

Top Bottom