MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
I know this is the wrong place for this but I need help fast! A virus was loded on to our computer and distroyed it in a All thmatter of hours :debil:. e program fliles and drivers are gone, if I start the computer normal all I get is a gray screen. In safe mode everything is there but everything is a mess and nothing works :ugg:. The only thing I really want to keep is my music I have upwords of 1500 songs and really want to keep them. I tried putting them all on my zip drive but the drivers were gone, tried burning them on to data CD's, again no drivers for my burner. Tried useing the recovery tools in safe mode to put the computer back to a past date. . .not possible that progam has been distroyed. Prety much my last choice is useing the recovery disc and completly reformat my computer (I REALLY don't want to do this). If I do do this is there any way I would be able to recover my music and other important files? If there is i dont think it would be easy, right :ugg:. I don't no what to do I'm lost. . .any help at all would be great. BTW, I'm not at my house (why i need the fast response) and I can not acess the internet from my house right now. ((sorry for all the errors in my post))

. . .why do people do theese kinds of things :debil: :debil:.

SirReel

Aug 23, 2001
Just reinstall the OS without the format and what not. This shouldn't touch the other folder(s) you have with the music. You should then be able to get them to zip, or cd, or whatever. Then I'd suggest doing the format re-install to make sure everything from the virus was cleaned up. Kind of a pain, but should let you get your data.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
He probably only has OEM recovery CD's and not the actual OS CD's so that option is out unless he can find them somewhere else.

Do you have a network and another computer? If so I can give you a link that will make a bootable DOS disk that will autodetect your NIC and allow you to copy files that way.

Is the drive FAT/FAT32 or NTFS?

I also have a nice DOS utility that will allow you to read an NTFS drive. The drawback there is that it will truncate all filenames to 8 char.

I ended up doing this recently (also mainly for music) and I also found a nice utility that will read the ID3 tags for all your MP3's and then allow you to select and rename all of them at once according to the format you specify based on ID3 tags. Not all of our music had complete ID3 tags but it took care of 80% of them in just seconds.

DOS NETWORK BOOT DISK LINK

HANDY PLACE TO GET DOS BOOT DISK - DRIVER SUPPORT

EVEN BETTER BOOT DISK WITH NETWORK SUPPORT IF YOU HAVE XP/ME

NTFS ACCESS FROM DOS

What OS are you running?

Last edited:

Rannoch

Dec 4, 2002
Another option is bring it to a shop, and ask them to burn your music to a cd (or 8 cd's, whatever) I'm guessing its going to be <$40. Is your music worth that? Or, if you have a friend with some know-how, have them do the same thing.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Well useing any type of recovery CD is out of the question. . .the drivers for my rom drive were also deleted, it wont read the CD. If I go into My Computer It dosnt even have the icon for either the rom or the burner any more. I do have my old computer and was thinking about networking the two but the rom drive is busted on that computer so I still wouldnt be able to load anything through that. But I then could go on to the internet and down load new drivers correct? Would this be a hard thing to do? As of what kind of drive it is I honestly wouldnt be able to tell you off the top of my head (I'm in school curently) but I belive it is NTFS. I have/had AOL but theres little left to that program. But on the bright side this worm has stoped but there seems to be alot of damage. If I could just get the to the internet from that computer I think this wouldn't be a hard thing to fix.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
What about installing the HD into another computer as anoter drive, scan it with antivirus and xfer the data you want. Then you can format it and reinstall from scratch in the original computer.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
All fixed boys. Thanks a ton! I went in to the mainframe of the computer and found the drivers for the rom drive and reloaded them from there. Then I used the recovery disc and reloaded just the drivers. But now I still need to reinstall all the software that didnt come on the computer because all the drivers are still gone for them. Either way I got my computer back. :)

Top Bottom