Help getting clutch hub bolt off

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yes, use a clutch holding tool (old steel clutch plate welded to a handle)., or use a rattle air gun.

Or if I remember (so many bikes) the centre comes out allowing you to get in there with a socket with the clutch assembled & you can hold the brake on in gear (but compresses the suspension so block of wood to limit) or a soft piece of ally carefully between primary & clutch gears.

Enough ways? Just don’t do what so many do & break the fingers off the housing trying to use a screwdriver or something.

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
Thanks David. I think I'll try putting it in gear and holding the break on as I don't happen to have any spare clutch plates on hand.

Kaw Bill

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
It is the most frustrating way though as the suspension acts unsurprisingly like a big spring & a shock is often useful to release the nut. A 2nd person to hold a block to limit the travel is useful. I would favour the sacrificial piece of ally which won’t harm the gears.

Rattle gun is the preferred option (just don’t use them to do things up), once you have a compressor you will wonder how you ever got on before, so many cool tools.

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
Just don’t do what so many do & break the fingers off the housing trying to use a screwdriver or something.
Doh, been there, done that, bloddy expensive.
The clutch holding tool looks like two pieces of angle iron, with 90' ends, and a bolt as a pivot ( like a big pair of scissors ).
I think David's suggestion of the rattle gun is the best/easiest, maybe try your local auto mechanics, good luck.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Try this

Instead of holding the back brake get an old countershaft sprocket and weld a handle onto it. Then get somebody else to hold the handle while you loosen the clutch nut. This takes the suspension compression problem out of it. So get a 1 foot piece of 2" steel pipe and weld the sproket onto the end of it, sprocket should be perpendicular to the length of the pipe. Then weld another piece of pipe perpendicular to the first piece of pipe at the opposite to the sprocket.
It is difficult to explain so I'll take a photo this evening and put on here...

You could also use this to remove the primary drive gear, just remember to leave the engine in the frame because it is damn difficult to hold the engine down when trying to push levers in different directions! :D

Philip

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
Impact Gun

The repair shop told me all they use is an impact gun , so that is what i use and it works GREAT, takes about 2 seconds. As long as you have a compressor and an Impact.

Obie

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yep...after you have a compressor, you'll certainly wonder how you ever got along without one.

A strap type filter removal tool used as a flywheel holder will work. Use a piece of pipe as a handle extension so it hits the floor...or attach it to a frame piece with a hose clamp.

....but you really really REALLY need a compressor............;)

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
kAWBILL
THE CHEAPEST AND EASIEST WAY TO GET THE NUT OFF IS TO MAKE A FLYWHEEL HOLDER. THE DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE THE TOOL ARE ON THE JUSTKDX WEBSITE. TO MAKE THE TOOL WILL TAKE YOU ALL OF 10 MINS. GOOD LUCK

Top Bottom