mystrdylan

Jun 29, 2006
Which Off-Road 4 Stroke?

Hello Everyone!

I've been riding ATVs for a few years, on both dunes and dirt, but I'm tired of being out-maneuvered and out-jumped by my two wheeled comrades. So I’ve decided to make the switch.

I've narrowed it down to the KTM line of XC-FW's, the Honda 450X, or the Yamaha WR450. I like electric starters, I have no need for street legal, and I want a large brand. I'm also interested in that new Kawasaki 2008 (early release) KLX 450R.

In the KTM line, should I be looking at the KTM 400, 450, or 525? Or should I go with one of the Japanese brands?

The 400 isn't that different from the 450 in terms of displacement. It's a difference of Bore vs. Stroke. What do those parameters change performance wise? Or should I go for biggest displacement and power? Do I really need that extra "umpf" of the 525?

Here are my facts:

1) Physical Size: 6’ 1” and 200lbs, 17 yrs old

2) How physical/aggressive are you? I’m fit and healthy. Not ready for a marathon, but I’d run a 5k tomorrow morning. Aggressive but not reckless. I want to go big, but I also want to continue living. :nod: So I keep it under control.

3) What do you plan to ride? Dunes and Dirt. I’m also interested in Hare and Hound, but mostly freeriding and just having fun off-road. I live in the Southwest, so I’ll be riding mostly desert terrain.

4) Do you have any riding experience? ATVs only. I tried a motorcycle for the first time last weekend. I rode a 250 2-stroke that was a retired MX pro race bike. Quite a beast to learn on. It only got away from me once, but MAN that power was INCREDIBLE. I'm comfortable on a 400 4-stroke ATV and was also OK with the 250 2-stroke bike.

5) Do you think you will race? Maybe some Hare and Hound or GNCC.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes. Almost all of it.

7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? No strong feelings on brand. I like KTM and Yamaha looks, but I don’t like Suzuki colors. 4-stroke only please! I live in California and with the way things are headed here, the treehuggers will have outlawed 2-strokes in the next 5 years. I'm looking for that GREEN STICKER.

8) Anything else that you think would help form an opinion? I’m more worried about it being underpowered than overpowered. I’m almost out of that transition phase and I don’t want to out-grow another bike.

Thanks,
Dylan

Last edited:
Top Bottom