HELP - Lighting Coil ID - Stcok vs High Output

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Just pulled off old (thought to be original) lighting coil to install high output Electrex unit.
They sure look similar; both have .0026 wire, and measure 3 ohms when measured with a standard multi-meter.
One has a maroon insulator, the other black.
The connection was hand soldered with a heavy duty insulating sleave; while a pro job it sure doesn't look factory.

Is there a noticeable difference visual between stock & high output? Maybe I've always had the good stuff ...... :bang:

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
I also installed, a "high output" Coil on my kdx I could not See any visual difference at all. The thing that makes them different is how many times the wire is wound around the body of the unit. The only way you could tell the difference would be to unwind the coils and measure the diffrence in length. You will probably get some where between 40 and 50 watts at idle from your new coil when you idle the bike up it will eventually get near the advertised wattage.

jim

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I have my oem coil at home. As I recall (didn't take pictures of both of them or anything neat like that) they did look quite similar.

There is a pic of the electrex coil on this site...somewhere..like here. .

Your comment regarding the connection is probably noteworthy.

I can take a look at the oem unit I have..post a pic of it maybe? Take a resistance reading?

I don't recall if the number of plates was the same. I'd suspect not......how many you got in yours?

So...are they notably different in operation? Yep. Considerably in the 'ability to watts' wise.

Yeah...maybe you HAVE always had the good stuff.

You didn't buy the thing new, then, I presume? Any chance of asking the seller about it?

Jim..send me an email about this. That will tickle my single brain cell into action this weekend.

..well...or not....;)

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Plates; of course.
Electrex 15 plates - Stocker is 17.
Also, connection was not soldered but a steel crimp connector (with oxidation covering it)

New unit has a maroon insulators; the photo has black the suspected original

Even with a decent multi meter like a Fluke, I thought that you really couldn't make an accurate resistance meeting when you are in the 2 to 3 ohms range?

If anybody has any more info it would be great for the archives.
Gotta go spin some wrenches; the above seems like enough evidence, even for CSI !
Thank you :cool:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
I don't recall the exact number, but my stock coil had less plates than the electrex replacement. The electrex also had much larger wire than the stock coil.

-Maurice

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Jim:

I understood your last post to be the dawning light of a new day and everything was known.

Is it?

I'm on MOrie's side. Your saying the electrex has fewer plates than the oem'r doesn't fit.

I didn't dig out my oem unit cuz I thought this was handled.

Is it?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom