CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
People I need some advice here. I live in a fairly nice area out in the country. About 30 minutes to the city, I live in a cresent and directly behind my house is a track that someone built in a old oil rigging type place. There are miles of trails that are secluded from houses etc. BUT as usual someone had to complain, and for some part and I don't blame them. There are always the idiot dirtbikers and quaders who race CONSTANTLY up and down the streets often with no helmets. And these are the people that cause the disturbance. I live in the type of area then as soon as the snow falls it's odd NOT to see a family of snowmobilers going out for a ride. Even on Christmas day it's just tradition. Anyways to make a long story short the town had a survey put out asking whether or not OHV'S should be COMPLETLY banned in my area. And of course only 21% of the people in my area responded. So there will be a town meeting held tommorow to make the final decision. So I must ask all of you, what can I/ should I say to show these people that it is part of our community? I have rounded up as many sledders, quaders and dirtbikers I can to show support. I am just hoping it's enough. There will always be the complaints like they are out late and they rip up lawns etc.....But what about people like me who walk their bikes down the street right to the field and then ride out of sight into the trails where no one can hear me? What can I say about the irresponsible people?

This is really unfair but I guess that's just politics for yah. If anyone wants a pic of the petition and the letter I got in the mail telling me to come to the town meeting tommorow I will post it. And I will let you all know how it went tommorow. Wish me luck

PS, By no means is this hickville but almost everyone on my street owns a sled or a quad. And the old people that have the motorhomes are the ones complaining :(

Last edited:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
sorry to hear about your situation. Convince the people of the town that anyone caught riding without a helmet should be beaten to death and thus would solve the problem ;)
seriously though, best of luck in the good fight.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Thanks SMB I am thinking I might propose a good solution of simply no bikes riding on the streets near houses. I mean you can trailer a bike to the field leading in to the trails, which all the sledders do coming into the city. I just hope we can get this cleared up. What next they shut down our tracks? :ugg:

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
DSCN0388.jpg

Here is one pic of the petition

and a larger version

__hr_DSCN0388.jpg

PS, The cut off part just says SHOW YOUR SUPPORT, Which you better believe I will!

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by CanadianRidr
I have rounded up as many sledders, quaders and dirtbikers I can to show support. I am just hoping it's enough. There will always be the complaints like they are out late and they rip up lawns etc.....But what about people like me who walk their bikes down the street right to the field and then ride out of sight into the trails where no one can hear me? What can I say about the irresponsible people?

:(

CanadianRidr,
I think you are on the right track by putting self imposed restrictions on riding in your area. Let's face it; our bikes will always irritate some folks due to the noise. However, doing what it takes to minimize that irritation, as you do, is the right thing to do. Of course depending on the size of the property this is not always possible.

You may consider recommending a certain setback restriction (some number of feet from houses) on riding. The helmet thing should go without saying, as should no street riding. Use the folks you have gathered to show support on the restrictions you desire. By showing that the riders want to support doing the right thing, you should gain support from the politicians. You must be careful though as this can sometimes backfire.

Who owns the land and is open land typically treated as "free range" in Canada? When I lived in Maine most open land in the country was treated in this manner. It wasn't uncommon to see 4 wheelers and hunters roaming anywhere they wanted. But it was an accepted practice there.

Good Luck!

Scott

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Idiots stand out like sore thumbs at times like these. The only thing that sticks in people's minds are the knobs that ride like fools through yards and streets. You have to bring this up because it will be thrown in your face instantly. You can tell them that there are bad people in every hobby, workplace, school, church, etc... What is needed is a little more enforcement to contain the fools so families can enjoy family time on the dirt or snow. Being a family is important and doing things together is a part of it. Organize groups of riders that have a monthly clean up day for trash and debris left by the fools. Show that the riders are not just 16 year old kids jumping truck tractors but are professionals in the community. Good luck to you!

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Make sure that if they ban OHV in your area that they understand what ALL OHV's are. This will include dirtbikes, quads, snow mobiles, riding lawn mowers, garden tractors, ETC. Ask them if they REALLY want to ban ALL motorized equipment not intended and registered for highway use. Once the town realizes that they will be inconviencing alot more people than they think, maybe they will think twice.
But, if they DO enact the ban.....make sure you start reporting people on they lawn mowers and ANY other motorized OFF HIGHWAY VEHICLE and see how long it takes to get this ban repealled!! ;)

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Well I would like to start of saying there were more twists in this meeting than a roller coaster. Ill point this out, there was a survey sent out to about 600 residents I believe? And GUESS WHAT? we show up to the little town hall and there was about 250 upset snowmobilers, quaders, bikers etc... A lot of these people were upset because they never even got the survey. In the room about 60+ people were 100% positive they didn't receive it. (There reasoning,(the ministers) "well we did our best, some obviously fell through the cracks"...yea right) Now they had the results layed out and they made it seem like everyone was in favour of the ban yet if you broke down there little percentages they encoded it was typically a 10-15 person varience between strongly agree and stongly disagree. Meaning if those 60+ people who never even got a chance to respond the results would have been in our favour.

Now to add the icing on the cake. The survey had asked questions like
Do you feel OHV vehicles are doing damage to certain areas of property?
Well even the people who ride OHV's know that they do some damage, so of course some people said yes. But ahh! this is where the trickery comes in, this survey was going to be the final outcome of the decision but it never said this ONCE on the actual survey. So what I am saying is, we were tricked, they took that information and basically used it against us and said "ok they are bad they wreck land ban em" The consensus of the group was that they would realize there was a problem and help solve it, not flat out ban it
Pretty dirty if you ask me.....

So then we have all these people at the meeting, and the 3 ministers or whatever they were, told us the meeting would have NO impact on there decision and that they would bring the survey results to council regardless on what we had to say. No if's and's or butts. Now another twist once again. There were very few people who were for the ban there, (10-12 people) now about 8 of them were so old they could barely walk.....And I don't mean to sound rude but when they stated there case they made no sense at all.... (blatent lies like dirtbikers ride at 3 in the morning lighting fires) When I asked how that was possible when they have no lights etc...they stuttered and told me they can see in the dark :( I could hear one old women behind me who was saying how all riders are evil, and that they are out to get her and her husband??? it was sad they had no idea and just made stuff up. It was hard to face these people and smile but I still did because I won't give in to there rediculous stereotypes. Now the people that we could understand made a good point, they said "If this is a strictly YES OR NO decision than they would say YES ban them, BUT if they could have had the option to come to an agreement (collectively agree on hours of operation, clean up crews etc...) then they would have said NO don't ban them. So once again the survey screwed us all over, there was not ONE SINGLE question that said "would you be willing to come to an agreement" everything was yes or no. Compromise was NEVER even mentioned on the survey. EVER!

Brilliant ideas were brought up at this meeting, yet they had no dictator at all. :whiner:
However was it a waste? I don't think so, we realized the board that set this up, out of 12 members 3 own OHV'S and NONE of them live in our area. So we said what are you going to do when the ban goes to your area? The point was brought up that if they ban our area the problem will just get pushed to the other side of the river and become someone else's problem. Once again the "ministers" never thought of this one :silly:

Lastly one main point that was brought up was that it's mainly the people in the city that cause the problems. Why would people who live in the valley wreck there own land? THEY WON'T, of course there will be 1 or 2 bad people but that's beside the issue. It's the staging area where people from the city come to and rip up the field, drink beers and ride sleds etc... Once again this WAS NEVER ADDRESSED in the survey, most of the respondents thought they were being asked about those type of problems. They wanted a solution not a total ban.

So what's the outcome? There was outrage, we decided no one was leaving until something was going to happen. They could feel our rage. We were told if we want to stop the motion send in faxes and letters to the main offices's. (My letter is being typed as I type this) I have all names and numbers as do the other 200+ members yesterday, we will be heard and this will be stopped. The survey was irresponsbly written and tricked people into something that was never even mentioned. I don't know much about politics but there is going to be a plebicite held? But all I can say, is there was energy in this meeting. Many people had said we moved to the country to ride, we have lived here for 30+ years and have rode every season, if some people didn't see all the tracks, trails etc..when they had moved in to the country they should not have come to complain. We are the tax payers and it's our right. So all I can is this will be stopped. No matter how much fighting I have to do....They won't take away my right to ride.

If anyone actually read this whole thing, thanks for taking the time. If what we do is so bad, then whatever condemn me. What we do brings us together even closer as a society. I have built stronger morels, values and learned a lot of essential things in life through riding. Some of my best memories I have as a child is riding on the river with my dad on our ski-doo. Now one day if I have kids, NO ONE will take this right from them, this is a free country. I want them to enjoy their lives and learn some of the good things I have learnt. Like I said no one will take away my rights :D

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
KanadianRidr.

Welcome to Kanada. Here in Kalifornia, we are undergoing much of the same crap. In my area, there are miles of trail and many tracks that have been here for many years. Now, we have houses going in around these trails and tracks and people are complaining. Kinda like moving in next to an airport and complaining about the airplane noise.

At a recent meeting, some old fart, (even older than me,) got up and said that those dirty dirt bikers shoot up all of his signs. Ever see a dirt biker carrying a gun? :eek: They talked about getting several new four wheel drive vehicles and hiring more police officers to patrol the trails and keep everyone out.

When I got up and asked, "wouldn't it be better to take all of that money slated for new vehicles and officers and build a cycle park?" I tried to explain how it would take much less money and people to put a cycle park in place on ground that is already there and being used by dirt riders and away from the homes. Most of them looked at me like I was from the moon. :scream:

You are doing the right thing and I applaud you for your efforts. Keep writing letters and attending the meetings. The hardest part is getting your riding buddies interested. Most of them will have other things to do and it will be like pulling teeth to get them to go to the meetings. Most of them won't be interested in going until their own little riding area gets shut down. Then they will say, "why did this happen?"

You said that three of the members own OHV's. Try to contact those three members and ask them what you should do. Maybe they can offer a little insight into how to deal with the rest of the members.

If you organize a trail clean up day or group, be sure to contact your local newspaper, (human interest editor), and try to get them out for some pictures and a little story. Otherwise people will never give your group the credit for this.

We ALL have to get involved in this or there will be no open land in the future.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Ol'89r

Last edited:

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
I spoke with the 3 of the members. The kicker is only one wanted to be honest with me and basically told me that it doesn't greatly concern them because they don't live in my area. :ugg: However they are willing to help somewhat. I have already phoned some riding buddies this morning to make sure they get there letters out today :aj:

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I agree with Elk, I'm not sure about Canada, but I believe riding an unlicensed vehicle, OHV or not, on the street is illegal anywhere! Typical politicians. The laws we have are not being enforced so..... lets make more laws! Smoke and mirrors.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
YZ I completly agree, part of the reason why they are called OHV's ;)

But get this question 3 states,
Do you feel OHV's should be allowed the use of fields, trails etc AND road use.

Well as soon as people see Road of course they will say no. It should have been 2 questions :whiner: One of my proposals was to get a whole new survey out...When they said it would cost too much many of us gladly said we would make a un-biased survey on our own time. What do you think there response was? :uh:

Thanks for all your support guys :)

Ill let everyone know how our letter writing goes, it can either go two ways, they will get a new survey, or they will just take a note and give it to council. Either way we will be heard, plus we will go to the council meeting :cool:

kdx357

Mod Ban
Nov 20, 2001
now wait a sec im 14 and only ride down the road because i cant drive
pushing a 220 lb kdx isnt fun so ahhh hell withit ill never win ;)

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
CanadianRidr,
Try to get the survey published in the local newspaper along with a "fair" version. It's obvious that the survey was biased and could have but one outcome. Maybe just the threat of doing so (publishing it), will get the council to see the error of their ways. Find a sympathetic reporter for your cause, it could do wonders.

You should also post the previous survey here along with email addresses for your local government officials. Power in numbers my friend and DRN has the numbers. Keep us posted.

Scott

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Ill try and get some pics of the survey and results up tonight :cool:

KDX357.....
Thanks buddy, it's people like you that assure that people like me and Old89er and bscottr will have to keep writing these letters to prove we don't live by your rules :D

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Canadian Rider, have you thought about organizing a riding club in your area?

Our club has been successful in working with the Forest Service around here to keep trails maintained and open to OHV's. Our officers meet quite regularly with the Rangers to keep up on what's going on and make sure that we have a say in matters.

At the meeting last night, we had the new District Ranger from the Colville Area attend our meeting to help him decide what to do with $150,000 worth of trail maintenance & reconstruction grants that his district just received. (If anyone wants to fill out a survey on Batey Bould let me know and I will email or snail mail one to you!)

This guy has been meeting with the local clubs to find out what needs to be done for us, he called the clubs and asked to attend the meetings.

Just a thought, if you can organize the people that you rallied this time you stand a better chance of being taken seriously and staying on top of developments that affect your riding.

Last edited:

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Yes bbbom that will be our next step. They basically said they will have to spend all this money on enforcing this (it's a joke because they can't enforce ANY of the laws they have now)
We said take that money and we will form a club, we will even self police it. It was brought up that a kid will run from a rent a cop, but if a fellow rider from a club comes up to him and tells him to cool it or take it somewhere else etc....they will listen
These people don't understand because they just drive there BMW's around and complain all day :confused:
Some people brought up the idea of having passes that you get if you live in the area and belong to the club to help identify etc....
The topper is, we even offered to pay for these passes to help fund clean up crews (which we said we would volunteer for anyways)

Like I said, we won't let this one go.....this is our right :aj:

thanks again everyone!

Top Bottom