S13_marine

Feb 3, 2009
2001 Honda CR250. JUST had the engine rebuilt, top and botom end. Today i rode for about 20 minutes and laid it down in a soft berm. The bike idled on the ground sideways for a few seconds untill i hit the kill switch. Now I cant get the bike to start at all. Me and 3 of my buddies all tried. like 90% sure it's not flooded. When I kick it over, if i give it no gas it does not sound like it wants to start at all. If i give it throttle, it SOUNDS like it wants to start, only it's a very low "put put put" when i'm kicking, then nothing.
Any ideas???? Thnaks for any and all help. :bang:

S13_marine

Feb 3, 2009
so maybe just fowled the plug? haven't pulled it out yet to look at it... i have work in like 20 minutes. that would be nice if that was it, because seriously, this was the second time i've riden this bike since i bought it a year and ahalf ago, just got the motor rebuilt, just broke the engine in the first time i rode it, then this happens.... FRUSTRATING

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
replace the plug.

After that try starting it normal. if that does not help, then hold the throttle wide open and kick until it starts.

S13_marine

Feb 3, 2009
I dont have an oem spark plug available right now. But i do have a butt-load od NGK BKR7E's. The insulator tip is ecactly the same length, thus will sit in the same position in the engine, and it has the same thread pitch. Will this plug still work??? The plug is off of a 2002 WRX.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Yep. like others have said, change the plug.

Happens to me all the time. If the bike lays down on its left side it will keep running and I can usually pick it back up and take off again without stalling it. If I lay it down on its right side it will die in a couple of seconds and and then it is a 50/50 chance that the plug is fouled. I carry a spare plug with me, so if it doesn't start in a few kicks I just change the plug.

Rod

yz250fracer

Feb 4, 2009
when i raced two strokes mine had the same problem you need to change the gas and put a new spart plug in.... if that fails turn the choke up and cut the gas line off hope it works for ya bud!! GOOD LUCK!! :)

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
if the crankcase fills with gas, it'll be a while. I left my fuel valve on overnight once, and it took me a half hour of blowing fuel out the exaust port through the spark plug hole with an air compressor before it would start again!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
A ngk 7 heat range plug is a bad choice for this bike. While it may start and run, the heat range is too hot. Buy the right plug and get 3-4 extras while your at it.

aaronnaland

Jan 19, 2009
I could be really really fludded so when you start it hold the throttle all the way open and kick it like 5 times then let of and kick it a few times and keep doing that for a few sets. Its always worked for me.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
aaronnaland said:
I could be really really fludded so when you start it hold the throttle all the way open and kick it like 5 times then let of and kick it a few times and keep doing that for a few sets. Its always worked for me.

he tried that. that's why he's having issues, because that didnt work.

S13_marine

Feb 3, 2009
i put a new plug in it and it starts now... however, now it puffs alot of white smoke. haven't gotten it fully warmed up yet, but i KNOW the mixture is 32:1 right now with Honda HP2 and 91 octane. seems to be running okay minus the smoke

John.Jr

Jan 5, 2009
You might need to do a water pump seal fix, Is you crankcase oil milky?If it is that is thats your problem,hope this my help you,JohnJr

S13_marine

Feb 3, 2009
i really doubt i'm burning anti-freeze... the engine seriously has like 3 hours on it... hopefully not anyways. i'll check the crank oil in the morning

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
When you first start it, open the radiator cap, rev the engine and look for bubbles in the radiator. Leaking coolant into the trans has what to do with the combustion process John Jr.??????

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
although I am not telling you to go sniff your exhaust but if you where "burning" antifreeze you would know it in a heartbeat from the smell

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Unless he was smart and just ran distilled water.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
even if it was pure water you could tell the steam from proper exhaust provided that there is no air pump and catylitic converter. and why would it be smart to run pure water? Although I understand the dissipation rate of water is better than a/f water mix arent the (1)surface tension of water change to be able to coat the metal parts better and (2) boiling point increased? l

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
jsantapau said:
even if it was pure water you could tell the steam from proper exhaust provided that there is no air pump and catylitic converter. and why would it be smart to run pure water? Although I understand the dissipation rate of water is better than a/f water mix arent the (1)surface tension of water change to be able to coat the metal parts better and (2) boiling point increased? l

it would become a steam bomb with just water,the heavy antifreeze is designed to keep them cool, dont run straight water you will be out of water in a short time :cool:

Top Bottom