Help me reincarnate this KDX

shr00m

Oct 14, 2004
i just picked up what i believe to be a 1980-1986 kdx 200 or 250, how do you tell?, not exactly sure on the year model.... it has sat in a barn for years... spark plug out, and carb off... the kick starter still moves smothly, the piston moves smoothly, its not locked up... i was planning on either reasmbling the carb that i found next to the bike or buying a new one, spraying some carb cleaner in the spark plug hole, like 2 cans worth and moving the kick starter to flush out the top end.... b4 the carb is on of course... from just visual inspection it looks like i need a new carb (maybe) a throttle grip... and a seat, the rest looks ok other than the plastic... any tips would be greatly appreciated, i know this is vague but i just picked up the bike

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Try posting your question under Canadian Daves JustKDX forum. You might get more responses there.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
2 cans of carb cleaner in the plug hole? assuming its air cooled, just pull head, exhaust reeds - you can see most of what you need to see with regards to the top end. If you "fill" the spark plug hole, most of you carb cleaner is going to simply run out of the exhaust/intake

shr00m

Oct 14, 2004
hmm

well that was kind of the point... while i am pretty mechanically inclined ive never done any work on dirtbikes, lots of car work and stuff.... i didnt really want to pull the head if it wasnt necessary , since the plug was off i wanted to flush it out with the carb cleaner, the carb is off so i figured if sprayed the cleaner in and moved the kickstart it would help clean it out since someone left the plug out for so long... i thought it may not be necessary to remove the head since when i move the kickstarter it sounds like any other bike ive ever had that ran... sounds like it has good compression.... the vin on the engine (only one i could find) dx2504e001209 ... it is air cooled... thanks for the replies guys... also is there a carb rebuild kit or something, i dont know if the carb needs it or not, but it was disasmbled... and im not sure if stuff is missing or not... thanks a lot

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
go to kawasaki.com and check out the parts section...you can view diagrams where necessary. 4 bolts the head - I'd recommend seriously, just pull it, move the piston up and down and see what is there.....if you plan on keeping it, its not worth rushing to get it running only to have it destroy the cylinder if there is something else truly wrong. Oh wait, just re-read your post....didn't see that the plug was left out - hands down, remove head.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Spray with WD-40 or penatrating oil and let sit for a few days. Then try to move the piston by using the kicker. Not fast but just to get the piston moving. Pull the pipe and see if you can see in the cylinder to check the "condition". Then run a compression check after drying it out. It will tell you if it needs a top end. I would assume anything below 110 PSI it will need a topend.

Last edited:

shr00m

Oct 14, 2004
ok

thanks for the info... i remember you can use a tire gauge or something to check compression dont remember how to connect it to the cylinder... like where the plug goes... also any idea on the cost to redo the topend? the bike really doesnt seem too bad and id like to restore it..... when it was parked it was running good i was told.... just been sitting and the guy gave it to me.

shr00m

Oct 14, 2004
lol

you know you guys talked me into it... i will remove the head... any tips on removing the bolts that i know have been on their for ages? i hope theres a carb diagram also the carb is off the bike and apart... lots of fun ahead of me :)

shr00m

Oct 14, 2004
brought the carb in disasmbling to clean... noticed that someone ahead of me must have tried to use a screwdriver to pry it open, broke a near inch long tiny screwdriver tip size hole in the side of the carb right where it seals together... looks like ill need a new carb also.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Amazing how you come here asking for help, then post CRAP in a thread where I ask for help. KMA :moon:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…