HELP! My bike won't start!

JW

Oct 9, 2001
I had ridden my KTM 350 over the Forth and she ran great, started second kick each time. No sputters, no laging in power nothing. She ran strong the whole day. I did have to clean the plug once because it was to wet, but started first kick after that. My wife and I came back down to Denver from the mountains and I took it to Watkins track to ride and low and behold she wouldn't even try and start! I cleaned the plug again and it looked good a little black inside and on the tip but didn't look to bad. Checked the filter and everything and still wouldn't start. Please help. I am hoping it is something simple like the plug just needs to be replaced(can a plug go bad and still look good?) We did try and push start and compression is still good, I am running 40:1 mix and it didn't seem to bother it at all in the mountains. I am just a bit frustrated as I just got the bike and it ran great one day and the next I couldn't even get her going. I got her from a a good dealer in Eagle who new the whole history and got her running good befor I bought it. So thanks in advance guys and I hope it is something simple that I may have missed.
P.S. sorry about the book

enmerdeur

Feb 10, 2002
Yes a plug can indeed be bad and look good. Best way to test is to pull the plug, connect it back to the spark plug wire, ground the plug to the cylinder wall and kick the bike over. Check for a nice, blue spark. If now spark then replace the plug. If there is spark, the next thing I would check would be water in the gas.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
you fouled the plug
the test above dose not work to well because even a fouled
plug will spark good out of the cylinder you can run a regular resistor
plug also say a br8es instead of the high dollar oem plug

JW

Oct 9, 2001
UGG!! I got the new pug and tryed. No luck at all. I checked for spark and there was none at all. I should be able to see an ark of some sort when I have it placed on top of the cyclender but there was none. I called the local dealer and they said it might be the CDI unit under my seat. I pulled the tank and checked all the wiring and all was good. Do I go ahead and disconnect the kill switch wire from the button to check or how is the safest way? Will this make a difference, and is there a way for me to check the CDI unit to make sure it is bad? Thanks for the help guys.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
if it fires with the kill switch disconected then there is your prob
the kill switch could be a stator coil also

Top Bottom