MarkME

May 21, 2001
When I first took apart my clutch the inner hub had grooves on it so I replaced it. The basket had small grooves so I sanded them down. When I put it back together the clutch still drug. I took it back apart and measured the plates (should have done that the first time). Some were too thin so I replaced all of them. Thinking my problem was solved I put it back together and it still drags. I then figured the basket needed replacement and my local dealer agreed (naturally, more money for them). I just finished reinstalling it and it still drags! What am I doing wrong? I've replaced the basket, boss, and plates to no avail. What should I check next? For each part replaced I checked the action of the clutch before putting the cover on. How much does the pressure plate need to move out for it to disengage? Help me please, I'm getting frustrated and poor!

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
this is just a thought, but my YZ clutch had a pushrod (the rod that goes through the case get very sticky. I pulled it out from the right side of the bike and cleaned it. The clutch worked much better after that. Yours, being newer, is a bit different, but this might help.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Replace the cable, sounds like it's streaching. After all your work it should have been fixed. Time to start the elimination process.

MarkME

May 21, 2001
I cleaned the pushrod the first time so I don't think that is it. How can I verify if the cable is stretched? When I pull the lever the pressure plate does move out so the action of the push rod on the pressure plate works.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
what condition is your oil in? what oil is it and do you have enough? Have you played with the adjustment? Dial the on the fly adjuster all the way in and then set the slack with the adjuster in the middle of the cable.

The only prob i had with the clutch on my 01 was buying that stupid raptor lever (it came off quite quick)

MarkME

May 21, 2001
The oil is in good condition. I've changed it each time I changed a part. I use Bel Ray and am positive I put the right amount in (750 mL). I have also played with the cable adjustment. Thanks and keep the ideas coming.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
MTRIDER, he said he just bought new ones.
MarkME, has your bike never dragged before this? Maybe try putting around alittle bit to warm up the oil.

MarkME

May 21, 2001
The last time I was at the track was the first time it dragged. I'll putt around tomorrow and see if that helps to break it in.

motodawg

Sponsoring Member
May 1, 2002
Glitch, I believe you are correct! Doh! :confused:

Last edited:

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Motodawg, I think that MarkME is saying that his clutch is not totally disengaging, which is why it drags. I don’t think that he is saying that it is harder for him to pull in the clutch lever, which is what I think you are thinking.

MarkME

May 21, 2001
I checked the action of the cable again and it is fine. I can see it moving the push lever axle. I rode it around and it still drags. I'm baffled. In case anyone is wondering I'm using OEM parts.

Jonny426

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2001
Did you replace ALL the plates or just the fiber ones? If you reused the steels you must check them for warpage. The glass/feeler guage/eyeball method should tell if any are warped. It doesn't take a lot of distortion to make a clutch drag. Check the springs also, a weak spring may let the pressure plate release unevenly.

MarkME

May 21, 2001
I did replace all of the driven and friction plates. Is there supposed to be a ball at the end of the pushrod on the clutch side? I didn't see it when I had the clutch apart and I don't see one in the manual.

Before I installed the plates I made sure that the clutch boss turns freely. Good point about the springs. I measured them before and they were within spec but maybe there is enough variation to push the pressure plate unevenly.

Last edited:
B

biglou

MM-From reading all this and using my limited knowledge here, I would look at three things in this order: 1)This rod end (ball) bearing. Make sure it is there if it is supposed to be. 2) Worn/old/dirty/sticking cable. 2) Springs. Are they in spec? If not, replace them all. Heck, except for springs and a cable, there isn't a whole lot left that can be causing this!

MarkME

May 21, 2001
After thinking about it some more I think my problem is the bearing the basket sits on. If the clutch disengages the only other path for the torque to get from the engine to the trans is through the bearing. I should be able to check that by removing the plates and turning the engine. If the boss rotates too then it has to be the bearing. Of course I'm out of oil right now so I can't check it yet. I'll post again if this fixes the problem. If it doesn't would anybody be interested in buying a clutch from me? ;) Thanks for everybody's help. :thumb:

B

biglou

Duh...I just noticed that I can't count! LOL! Makes you feel real good about taking advice from ol' Lou, don't it! :confused:

RJH

Jun 15, 2002
Just by the the way you described it - you remove the shaft arm from clutch cover. Then - install the cover - then slide the shaft in cover ( the cable is connected to this shaft) . The trick - when you slide in the shaft in - the fron t edge needs to line up with the two marks in the case about 1/2" away. You will find the arm will go loose when you rotate it to the back of the engine - and tight when you move it forward. Again - it should get tight just as it comes inline with the marks. When you install the cable allow a few mm of play. This may or may not be your problem. Bob hogg

MarkME

May 21, 2001
RJH, I don't quite follow what you're saying. The front edge of what needs to line up with what? I guess I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say clutch cover or shaft arm.

RJH

Jun 15, 2002
Hi - The clutch has a cover. A arm is attached inside the cover. The arm I'm talking about is that arm - the one in the cover. It has a small gear on the bottom and the clutch cable attaches to the top. So - remove that arm and install the cover. The top of this arm accepts the clutch cable. With the cover installed - slide this arm back in. Install it so the extension that holds the cable should line up between two marks on the crankcase. The marks are about 1/2" away. The are raised up about 1/16" +/-. Line that up with the clutch cable arm. This is an adjustment setup - and may not be your problem. Thanks Bob Hogg

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom