Green Rider

May 29, 2002
Just bought an FMF Gnarly pipe for my 02 KDX 220. The FMF website recommended a 155 jet so I changed out my stock 145. This produced black smoke, poor performance and all sorts of bad stuff. Can anyone give me a good baseline to start from (main jet, slide, needle, etc etc.)

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Try a 145-148 main, 42 pilot, and the needle in the 2nd from top position. BTW, what pipe did you get? Probably the KG-30 Rev? Just curious :)

jgfoad

Apr 8, 2002
I just checked FMF's website and it looks like they listed a #160 main jet for the KDX 220. A #160 is stock for the 200, NOT the 220. 220s come equipped w/ a #145 main - so by switching to a #155, you went richer rather than leaner. That explains all the smoke your bike was spitting out.

Check out Canadian Dave's carb tuning tips for other jetting suggestions - http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/carbtuning.html At the bottom of the article, Dave lists some jetting specs both for stock 220/200s and those with aftermarket pipes.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A #160 for a 33mm carbed 220?? In Death Valley @ -30º??

The torque (kg35) jets leaner than the rev (kg30).

Can't imagine in any case that it would be a 160 main.

Stan is about right...jg gave you the right place to get more info.

There is a ton of info on this forum regarding needles and jetting for the PWK. Check it out with a search. Basically, you would probably like a 'c' needle (around CEL) with the stock (#5) slide.

Green Rider

May 29, 2002
Thanks for the help. I am a newbie to the message boards here and appreciate the tips and links.

Went back to the stock 145 jet and really "uncorked" the bike....what a ride now!

lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
I just bought a 97KDX220 with a FMF pipe on it. All I can see is that its a "FATTY" where will I find the model number ? Is it stamped on the pipe somewhere ?

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Originally posted by agitt73
a fatty is an all around pipe
just called the fatty pipe nothing else

No, I think a fatty is either a k-30 rev or k-35 torque. I t should be stamped on one of the mounts

lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
I took a quick look the other day but could not see any markings, perhaps its marked on one of the mounting flanges on the back side so its not visible with taking the pipe off. I will have to take it off and find out exactly what I have. thanks

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Green Rider I'm just up the road from you in Cookeville so the elevation is about the same. Its slightly higher here but not much to make a difference. I was lucky I suppose with my 200.....didn't have to rejet when I put k35 torque pipe on. I just moved the clip up to 2nd notch and drilled holes in airbox lid to get more air in. I used to foul plugs often until I installed a BR8EG plug. Its perfect! Crisp off bottom, snappy in mid and climbs hard all the way out of powerband. Plug color is perfect. Evereybody says rejet right off the bat. Mine is perfect so I haven't bothered to rejet.

Green Rider

May 29, 2002
Thanks Braahp......I had a chance to really run my bike today at the hare scramble in Clarksville. Pulled a wheelie uphill in 3rd gear...it screams. Now running the following 1)BR8ES 2) Removed air box lid completely 3)Clip in second from the top position 4)145 main jet. I now have all of the power I need.

Top Bottom