anthony227

Sep 1, 2003
Hey guys, I read over some of the old threads to see if I could find an answer to my questions. However, it seems like bike selection is very dependent upon body size so I decided to post my own topic. :) I'm 17 years old, 6'0, and 220 pounds. My parents own homes up in the Pennsylvania Poconos so I plan to do trail riding as well as riding through the neighborhood. What would be a good bike for me? From the little I've read it seems as though the KDX is the "forum favorite" but what size would suit my riding best?

Also, one of the main reasons I am looking at getting a dirt bike is because I want to eventually get a larger motorcycle. I figure the best way to learn is off the streets. :) Is this logic flawed in any way? If so, I apologize in advance. I would also like to apologize if my questions seems "stupid" to you. I frequent other forums so I know how frustrating newbies can be sometimes... Thanks guys in advance!

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Uhhh...If you wanted to ride on-road then I would go ahead and just do that. But if you want a dirt bike how about an XR400. Very reliable bike, can be street legal and can do just about anything you want it to do.

anthony227

Sep 1, 2003
Thanks for the reply? Anyone else have any suggestions? I read about the KDX being a great bike, do you think this would suit my needs? Right now riding on trails is the most important thing. I am not looking to get an "actual" motorcycle for a couple of years.

anthony227

Sep 1, 2003
For what reasons? Is it because I said I wanted to ride through the neighborhood? I should have been more specific when I said this...the neighborhood I was talking about doesn't have paved roads or anything. It is a community in the Poconos. Also, my primary purpose is trails. Riding on roads is a distant second which I could live without. Thanks for all the suggestions though. I will definately look into them!

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Anthony,
I don't think you could go wrong with the KDX 200/220. However for a guy your size and weight you'll have to get stiffer springs for the front and rear suspension. The bike can grow with you as your skills improve--there's tons of aftermarket parts. It's bulletproof, stone cold reliable. I bought a new KDX 200 last fall after a 20 year break and made several mods to it that have really just made it much more enjoyable (powerful and rideable). I'm 5'11 205 pound without equipment and I have no problem getting to where I need to go in a hurry. For taller riders it may feel little cramped--but there's way to correct that--just go to the JUSTKDX site and they'll be many more tips and advice there.

HOWEVER, since you're a big kid already with a few more years of growing to do, the XR 400 wouldn't be bad choice either. I don't much about the DR-Z..but I'm a big fan of honda. I've owned XR's and CR's in my day. Again I believe the XR 400 can grow with you, and the aftermarket parts are plentiful. If I were you (6ft 220) I'd probably look at the 400 first. Just my opinion. Oh yeah, don't forget to buy some decent riding equipment. Good Luck!..John

anthony227

Sep 1, 2003
Thanks everyone for the replies. I just wanted to get some bikes to look out for and you guys all gave me some great suggestions. I will look into the XR400 since they are right in my price range. I still have some time to save up money but you reminded me that I should also budget for saftey equipment. One more quick question that I'm sure has been answered before...I read on a website that a dirtbike (forgot which one) was getting 75 mpg. Is this about right?

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
I would stray away from the KDX200/220 just because it is a two-stroke and the rules are getting more strict with those things by the day. XR400 is a great choice!

anthony227

Sep 1, 2003
I did a search on google just looking for more info about the XR400 and I found a cycle shop selling a 1997 for $799. I am assuming there is MAJOR damage or someone made a typo. There is really no info about the bike concerning it's condition, date the ad was posted, etc. I may just give them a call and see what they say for the hell of it.

Anyone have any useful information or websites about the XR400 that would be beneficial to me? Any particular years to avoid or common problems to look for? Thanks!

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
http://honda.com

Its a good website. It gives you all the specs and engineering info, and a brief to the point summary of the bike. From the website its pretty straight forward how to get to the XR400 page, its in the motorcycle "off-road" section.

bh

Nov 26, 2001
Do yourself a favor and get a kdx200/200. I am about 6' and 220 pounds and the kdx has no trouble pulling me around. A kdx is the only dirtbike I will ever have. I have a 93 kdx200 and even though its the older style it is still great. One thing about the Kdx over the Xr is the weight.

Top Bottom