kx_dave

Jun 2, 2001
Looking for some advice on buying a compact sized truck with an extended cab. I'd like something that can hold 2 dirtbikes in the payload (7 foot bed???). I'd like the smallest vehicle that can do the job since it will also be my main form of transportation around town. Friends told me a 4-cylinder will do the job fine. Not sure if I need 4 wheel drive or not. As you can tell, I'm pretty clueless about trucks and will appreciate any advice.

Thanks very much...
Dave

00 KX250

azcab

May 6, 2001
My vote is for a clean toyota. I owned a 1989 4cyl. 4x4 x-cab for 13 years and the truck was bulletproof. Hauls two bikes and all gear easily, although you'll have to be patient on uphills. I finally just grew out of it with my wife, daughter and a camper trailer. I miss that truck every day.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i second the toyota. i had an '86 long bed (7ft.). it was plenty big enough for two bikes and you could still close the tailgate. it had a 2.4L, which had good power and good mileage. i sold it for a bigger truck after having children. it had 191,000 miles on it.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I had two Nissans before coming back across the pond. The last one I sold at 285K to a friend who still uses it in business some 4 years later. I just gave my daughter my last rice burner, a Passport with 190K on it, so I like the Isuzu engine as well. My Nissan was an extended cab, and I wouldn't even look at a standard cab. With the new extended cab full four doors, they have got me looking again, althogh I will have to keep my big iron for trips.

Best advice I can offer is check the various models for features that normally cause problems. One reason I went with the Nissan was the timing chain in lieu of a belt. I never even had to adjust it.

I normally keep a vehicle for 200 to 300K, so this stuff is important to me.

Tony

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
For comparison, the 2.4 liter toyota engine (22re) has a timing chain also. Change interval of 120,000 miles. I have had very good experiences with toyota pickups too and highly recommend them. The aftermarket support is very good and the toyotas are built to be worked on. very logical construction in most cases. and stout as heck in the mid to late 80s. How many s-10s have several hundred thoudand miles on them? Avoid the V6.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
The latest model Toyota you can afford. I have an '85 standard cab/long bed 4wd that I use as a daily driver and love it - 165K and needs a new timing chain. I have driven it from LA to Vail, Co - it was a little cramped for me at 6'4". The xtra cab in the 80's vintage Toyotas is worthless for anything but storing a gear bag. Not sure if the 90's Toyota xtra cabs are big enough for small children. You will never get two bikes in the bed of the Crew Cab Tacoma with the tailgate up - not sure if you can get two bikes in one with the tailgate down. The bed is very short.

Whether you need 4wd or not is a tough call. It is convenient when you need it but how often do you really need it? That said my Toyota is 4wd, so is my Dodge & my CJ-7....

Brian

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
Toyota for sure....i still miss my 87 pickup. i have a full size f-150 now, the room is sure nice, but the gas mileage sucks (as expected from an 8 banger) my toy truck had 170,000 when i sold, still running around town today (2yrs later), i have an 89 camry that i use to drive to work, it has 215,000 on it and i've done nothing to it, except change oil , filters and put on a new starter, wife has a 98 4-runner, with 120,000 still in perfect condition.....BUY A TOYOTA

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Originally posted by Highbeam
How many s-10s have several hundred thoudand miles on them? Avoid the V6.

The S-10 has two different V-6s you want to avoid the 2.8 like the plague. They are a crank breaking bearing spinning gutless P.O.S. After working as an engine builder for over ten years I`ve seen these engines fail in every way possible and in ways I never thought possible.The other V-6 is the 4.3 this is a stout engine. It`s based on the 350 small block and has proven itself to be reliable as well as having some grunt. Toyotas have a proven track record but a little down on power.Dodge Dakotas with the 3.9 or the V-8s are pretty good as are 4.0 Ford Rangers. They`re other good little trucks out there that I don`t any experiance with. OK I`ll get off my soap box and shut up now.

Steve

strublized

Oct 16, 2002
At the SuperCross last year in Pontiac MI, Nissian had there extended cab, extended bed truck there. It looked pretty good with two bikes fitting in it easily. I also unterstand Nissian is coming out with a fullsize truck next year.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
My '95 Toyota's extended cab is big enough for my son's booster seat, and has shoulder belts as well. An adult could fit back there, but it'd be super uncomfortable. I mainly purchased it to increase legroom & allow me to recline for short naps after riding, etc.

I opted for the 4 cyl again, this time with an auto tranny. It's a tad gutless from a stop, but otherwise hauls me & bikes around fine. And mileage is usually in the 21-24 range on freeway, 18-20 in town.

This is my second Toyota pickup. I love them to death, and unless I ever own a large trailer or boat, this is the only car for me. Unless you really need 4wd, stick with 2wd. The lower tail gate is great if you're by yourself & happen to forget your ramp. I think a good rule of thumb is if you've never needed 4wd before, you most likely won't use it in the future.

I've also owned a Pathfinder with Nissan's 3.0 V6- those are almost as legendary as Toyota's 22R 4 cyl. Good stuff.

Last edited:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
kx_dave – I see you live in Seattle. I spent 24 years of my life there. I remember three good snowstorms. November ’80, November ’85 and December ’90. Keep in mind that Seattle is built on seven hills. Owning a 4x4 may seem like overkill until you’re trying to make your way up Holman Road in a snowstorm. Also if you plan on doing any travel over the pass in winter a 4x4 will make the trip much safer. Just remember that 4-wheel-drive means better traction in slick conditions but you still have to stop.

I’ve got a ’92 Toyota ext. cab 4x4 p/u with V6 and 200k miles. It is still on the original clutch and it’s about time for the third timing belt. This truck has been bullet proof. The V6 does not get any better mileage than a full-size p/u with a V8, but it pulls harder in the hills than the 4-cylinder. Prior to this p/u I owned an ’85 Toyota 4x4 standard cab with the 22R engine. That p/u did have the 7-foot bed, which meant I could put two bikes in straight and shut the gate. I also own a ’95 4Runner SR5 Limited with the V6 that has just over 100k miles.

Both my vehicles are paid off and I plan to drive them until they die. I have been very satisfied with all the Toyota products I have owned and would definitely buy another one.

kx_dave

Jun 2, 2001
Wow...thanks for all the responses. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Toyota Tacoma xtracab 4x4 2.7 liter 4-cyl engine. Test drove it at the Toyota dealer, liked it a lot, and have heard only great things about them. I also go downhill mt biking which involves shuttling the bikes up some pretty choppy fire roads, so the 4x4 sounds like the way to go. WoodsRider...good point about the mountain passes in the winter. Again, thanks for the advice....it helps to hear from other dirt bikers.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
It's good to see you've chosen a solid truck. ;) I've been very happy with Toyotas. Might I suggest going with the 3.4 V-6. You may only need the capacity of the 4 cylinder, for now, but when you need that extra something you're going to be sorry you didn't get the 6. My V-6 has been pushed to his limits numerous times and I have yet to hear him complain. The best thing about Toyotas is that they require basic maintenance to stay running. I just wish they would bring the price down on their V-8s. :ugg: Then I wouldn't have to buy a GMC.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom