HELP!! Race tommorow and bike wont start!!

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
HELP!! Race tommorow and bike wont start!! Post Race, Still NO GO!?!?!

okay. I crashed really hard 3 weeks ago, bike would not start afterwards, i figured i had fouled a plug and didn't have another so i called it a day.

The other day i opened that carb cleaned it, adjusted the float a lil, bike fired up right off, second kick.

today i took the bike to practice for a race tomorrow and there was nothing there, i kicked and kicked and kicked. so i tore it down cleaned out the carb, and hooray it fired right up sounded good, felt good, ripped it around the pits. so i shut it down put it on the stand and waited for my turn to practice, when it came to be my turn i started to kick and just kicked and kicked and kicked. so i took the carb off once more cleaned it again, and sprayed some carb spray all over the thing, and it fired back up again. so i got out there and practiced for 2 laps, it bogged down and died, i sat there for a bit and it fired back up, and then i rode a little and then it died again.

so i get it home tear it apart again, cleaned the carb real good, made sure there where no burrs on the float needle, adjusted the float again, and it fired up, i tried to start it every half hr and it fired every time. except for just a min ago. i am back to kicking and kicking.

There is gas in the bowl and when i take the plug out and its wet. i do have a good spark and good compression, i am out of ideas. it has to be the carb though....ANY SUGGESTIONS!!????!??!?!? :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: I have a race tomorrow and need this thing to fire..

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
Sounds like your gas tank might be dirty with 'gunk'. this gunk gets into your carb and clogs the jets, which explains why it runs when you clean the carb. take off your tank and empty the gas, clean the tank out with soapy water then rinse it out with alot of water then use compressed air to get rid of ALL the water. put your tank back on and fill it up with frsh pre-mix and see if it works. could only take about an hour and a half, max.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
if that would be the case why wouldn't it just come out of my overflow hose..its not, but shouldn't it?

Cape KX

~SPONSOR~
Apr 13, 2007
Same type of thing happened to my sons KX65. Like 84cr125 says, I found the petcock screen covered with gunk. You might also check the airbox between the carb and filter for cracks or holes that would allow dirt in.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
ya i siliconed my air box the other day after the crash. I did just dump out my gas into a clean bucket, and there is a lot more dirt in there than i would have like to have seen..I hope that does the trick. Thankfully the gas in my gas can looks clean since i'm out of premix and there aren't bike shops open tomorrow.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I would put new float valves in all your bikes,and get a replacement seal for your airbox.That is one whimpy seal and silicone is not the answer,varithane maybe!

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
okay so i raced today.................this bike WILL NOT kick start..i had to have a friend tow me to get it going. and then it died in my moto and i DNF'ed..well i cleaned my gas last night, per the suggestion. but today, i went through the carb again, i checked my reeds, checked my power valve, and spark. everything seems to be working fine. I am at a loss with this bike. does anyone has any ideas. i think i'm gonna completely tare down the top end, but having no idea what i'm looking for. any help or suggestions would be wonderful. thanks!

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
It sounds like its running extremely rich or your float valves are sticking a little, not enough to overflow but enough to flood the motor.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
ya i'm gonna take the top end off this week.

but as for the carb i have the needle in the leanest position, and i ran with a #48 pilot in there and it did seem like it was running rich so i put in a #45 pilot in and it ran really really lean. so stuck in the #48, the bike sounded really good at first once we pop started it. but it just died again, and nothin when i would go to kick..

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
get a heavy duty chemical and dissassembel EVERYTHING in the card and put the two in a bucket for a day and let the chemicals do the cleaning. if that doesnt work, then you know its not your carb, unless its your floats.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
what type of chemical should i look for. mineral spirits or something like that?

Last edited:

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
I just took the cylinder off. piston looks really good, but i opened the power valve, and everything is moving very smooth, but i did notice a lot of black oil in there. is this normal? i did clean it out.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Black oil is normal in the powervavle, it happens. But listen to what everyones been saying about your float level. Properly adjust it and you should be ok.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
ya..i think the carb is okay....now people are saying to check or replace the cdi, and the throttle positioning sensor....ugh...but the bike runs on a pop staart....so confused

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
if your bikes new, dont replace the CDI there built to help withstand the life of the electical components. the first thing i would do is take out my manual and adjust the float levels after i had cleaned the carb and then see what its like.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
1999 yz 250...ya i cleaned the carb like a million times, took it all apart, adjusted the float. did all that. i just put the bike all back together from taking it all the way apart last night, still nothing. the last three people i've talked to told me it sounds like electrical. i just don't know too much about electrical stuff. and i don't have the money right now to let a dealer work on it.

but i was told that if the throttle pos sensor was off a tad, that could be messing with me.. and i am getting spark.. and i know for sure that i CAN pop start it. so that sounds to me like the cdi is okay. because a friend also told me that with electrical stuff, its either there or its not, theres not really a middle ground. this sound right?

and to remind you, i crashed really hard..enough to make me go cross eyed, and i'm not joking..hah..

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
ok. so i re-read your original post and it seems as though you coaul as well not bbe getting any air into your cylinder on the initial start up. When you take off the carb and lcean it your really letting air seep into the cylinder and when you put the carb back on the bike you have gas and air in the cylinder and it will start. Check your reeds, The airscrew(should be around 1.5 to 2 turns out).

start there and let me know what happens.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
i fiddled with that the other day. the air screw is 1.5 turns out. and the reeds all look good. i re 0checked those last night.. i have a boyesen reed valve in there..

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
I would head down to your local church and have the priest bless a bottle of water then dowse your bike with it.. sounds cursed

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
when you say you cleaned the carb, what exactly are you doing? Are you pulling it off and spraying it out with carb cleaner or are you pulling all the jets, floats off, choke tube, etc and cleaning it piece by piece. If your just spraying carb cleaner in there, then it fires up theres prob still dirt in the jets or somewhere else and after you ride it a little bit it clogs everything back up. Also put a new plug in

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…