HELP!! Race tommorow and bike wont start!!

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
ya i pull out the carb parts and spray them individually.

and yes i am sure about the TPS.

and yes i have tried several different plugs.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Badgadjit1 said:
ya i pull out the carb parts and spray them individually.

and yes i am sure about the TPS.

and yes i have tried several different plugs.

Since the only electronics on a 2 stroke are the CDI, what function would a TPS serve?

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
I have no idea but i know there is one..well this is what i'm told..

i just checked bike bandit and its called a solenoid. so whatever..i have no knowledge on electronics except that their expensive.

I have been told three times that this problem sounds like its electronic. I mean does it sound like it to you guys?

I really appreciate all the help. Thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I think what you are thinking is a TPS is actually a Fuel Cut Off.. That could be your problem.. Worth checking out.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
i don't have my manual..i plan to get it back from my friend today, but is there a way i can check the cdi with a multimeter?

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
I think what you are thinking is a TPS is actually a Fuel Cut Off.. That could be your problem.. Worth checking out.

What should i look for. I mean from the symptoms if it is a fuel shut off, that makes sense cause its starting on a pop and dieing out.

Like take it off the carb and what...

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
Badgadjit1 said:
but is there a way i can check the cdi with a multimeter?

CDI cannot be checked with a mutimeter, they can only be replaced with a good knows unit.

ryansck

May 1, 2007
Dealer

As I would Imagine this guy probalby knows about as much as any tech, to find an honest to good pro bike mechanic is hard to find his guess is as good as all others.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Badgadjit1 said:
What should i look for. I mean from the symptoms if it is a fuel shut off, that makes sense cause its starting on a pop and dieing out.

Like take it off the carb and what...

If that is infact a solenoid, they work basically by energizing a rod to either open or close the valve.. I would imagine that this one is designed so that if there is a power loss, it shuts off the fuel.

So, you need to find out for sure if this is the case, and determine if there is enough current coming to the solenoid to keep it open while the bike is running. If not, why?

Find out what voltage is required to open the valve, and test the valve with that amount of voltage.. If it seems to be working, keep it energized for a while to see if it is closing on its own after a while.

If all of that turns up no obvious problems.. I don't know...

Of course, just so you know, I could be pulling all of this straight out of my a$$... Your mileage may vary, no refunds allowed or coupons accepted.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006

i just found this in another forum..i'm not doubting anyone, i'm still gonna check into it..but this true? ya think?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Badgadjit1 said:
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=138476&highlight=fuel+solenoid

after reading this, it doesn't seen that my solenoid would be giving me the problems i'm having...

Unless it is failing and closing at low rpms..

These are machines, they don't follow any hard rules when they break. The only way to know for sure what is causing your problem is to test your machine, not take the word of a forum. Hence my disclaimer on my last message.

We are only guessing here. If it were my bike, I'd be testing every possible thing.

It seems to me you need to invest in a service manual for your bike..

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
ya i have one...its just not here..i have to get it back from a friend..

also..i have been looking for an aftermarket cdi for this..just incase this is the prob. do they exist? i can't find any. I found one on e-bay. do you know what the year range is on these. i found a 2002..

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN

Not sure what the range is, however, Bikebandit can be real helpful with that.. I;m pretty sure that if you check a few model years around it, and the part numbers match for the CDI, then you can determine the range.. PITA, but it works.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
hrm...if you go to the aftermarket area for offroad bike they only offer cdi's for honda..i know i can get an oem...but they're so expensive..

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Badgadjit1 said:
hrm...if you go to the aftermarket area for offroad bike they only offer cdi's for honda..i know i can get an oem...but they're so expensive..

True, but using the OEM fiche, you can find out if the CDI is the same over a range of years..

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Badgadjit1 said:
ya..looks like 99 is alone...

Yeah, I can't seem to buy a bike that aftermarket companies care about either..

You'd think my YZ85 doesn't exist.. I was looking for a replacement tank, it's OEM or nothing.. Clarke makes one for a 1972 Yamaha trial bike, but not a 2003-2006 YZ85.. Go figure.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
After going throught the electrical system

I have no way to test the CDI box but this is what i came up with...

everything is in spec, except the coil. In my book it says the primary coil coil is supposed to read from .20 ~ .30 ohms. the bike is reading .40 ohms

and the secondary coil (from the coil to the spark plug wire) is supposed to measure 9.5 ~ 14.3 kohms. the bike is reading 16.51 kohms.

is this out of spec enough to be causing me all these problems? It kinda does make sense since the bike will work....and then it wont...i don't know what different effects are when the bike has a high or low resistance.

this is the only thing out of the ordinary. Earlier i thought the bike had a TPS system. IT DOES NOT. The fuel cut off solenoid it also functioning properly.

thanks for the help

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
in your manual does it say within 10% of your results? in mine is says that that it sould be inbetween the specifications with respect to 10%.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…