Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! running lean

cr250brider

May 18, 2010
Hello all, I know this is a broken record so bear with me. I recently purchased and rebuilt 97 cr250. once back toghether, I got to idle and run. however, yes however, when i crack the throttle the bike sounds and acts(revvvs) just like one is running out of gas. I mean just crack the throttle. When I ride it, if i hold it steady mid throttle it does the same thing.

I have cleaned this carb so many times, I keep thinking im gonna find something.

float lever is set
pilot 55
main 172 or 175 cant remember
pj 42

i even put clip position on #5 to see if this helped and nope.
stock engine, with fmf fatty, turbinecore 2

a pwk would be nice, but cant swing 180.00 right now.

can someone please help??????

thanks in advance.

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
check your fuel lines and your reed/carb boot for air leaks and then just take it easy and let it get broken in then try diff. fuel grades, oil ratios, and jetting

cr250brider

May 18, 2010
brentoncole said:
check your fuel lines and your reed/carb boot for air leaks and then just take it easy and let it get broken in then try diff. fuel grades, oil ratios, and jetting
i also tried spraying the reed cage/boot with carb cleaner along with crankcase thinking i have air leak but no change in sound or running. I have never had a 2 stroke this bad, i was always able to correct with needle adj or something.
i am running 32:1 with synthetic oil (castor 927 by Maxima oil).

I was thinking pilot jet, but i didnt think it would be this severe.

thanks

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If the power jet is not working, you need to bump the pilot up a couple sizes to compensate and just unplug the electric going to the carb. Start it, warm it up, come off idle and when it starts bogging, kill it and check the plug. Wet or dry? 5th notch, from the top or bottom? Vintage Bob

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Where do you have the air screw set? It should range between 1/2 to 2 turns out. More than that will make it run lean.

The power jet doesn't come into play at the crack of the throttle.

cr250brider

May 18, 2010
ok, the clip is in the bottom position, with needle pushed all the way up.

and my understanding of power jet, is that it stays open until around 8100 rpms and then the solenoid closes with voltage from ign box. so its not making sense to me.

thanks for all help

cr250brider

May 18, 2010
scottiedawg66 said:
if it boggs when u open the throttle it sounds like its actually rich to me. Id move the clip to the 3rd position on the needle and see if that helps.
no bogging here, it was actually in 3rd position, and i moved it to try to help it.

cr250brider

May 18, 2010
Sorry for overposting guys, i dont know what happened, i was replying from my phone, and now that im at home, i can see something wrong was happening. sorry

cr250brider

May 18, 2010
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
The needle is too rich, raise the clip, and the needle will be lower/leaner.
ok, i understand this would be a rich condition, however when the clip was in the 3rd position it done the same kind of running. Its hard to describe , but the only way i can describe it is when you accidentally run out of gas and your engine revvs up really high without giving bike any throttle is how it acts when i just crack the throttle. this thing revs really high when i crack the throttle, and its very unstable. i pulled the plug after running it like this and plug was very dry.

its not a rich situation., i just moved the clip to the 5th position to try and compensate for the lean condition.

cr250brider

May 18, 2010
ok here goes from phone again,

yes i have cleaned carb many times, and about the air leak??? it idles fine, wen adjusted, and i have sprayed boot, carb, entire engine while running with carb spray and engine did not change, i bought some larger pilots today, ill let yall know how it turns out.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
throttle cable boot is good right?, my cousins banshee(cant talk him out of the extra two wheels) sucked some air through the top of his carb and had same prob sounds like youre having

cr250brider

May 18, 2010
ellandoh said:
throttle cable boot is good right?, my cousins banshee(cant talk him out of the extra two wheels) sucked some air through the top of his carb and had same prob sounds like youre having
seems tight, but ill look n make sure,

Top Bottom