Help secret for removing shock spring??

kathy127

Nov 10, 2001
Okay, I got the stiffer shock spring for the KX100, but I can not get the old spring off.
Is there a secret?
There are not enough threads to loosen the locknuts, so that the ring at the other end will slip off????
How is one supposed to compress the spring to allow that nut to slip past the shock shaft?
Thanks for any help.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sounds like you need a...........................................

Kawasaki Factory shop manual.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
you need a spring compressor of sorts. I have used two sets of large channel locks to grab a few coils and had someone else remove the clip. you could rent some of the spring compressor kits from autozone. they are made for large coil springs on cars but work OK on a bike...

kathy127

Nov 10, 2001
thanks.
I will try the channel locks or maybe those "c" clamps.
Thanks for the idea.
Why couldn't they add 2 more threads on the body??

kathy127

Nov 10, 2001
Well I only had 1 pair channel locks. And only me-no second set of hands. It did not work. Close, though.
I guess I will go to Autozone and see what they have.
I have never had a bike that you could not change the shock spring??? Otherwise the bike is great, but this is a problem.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
you could try actual spring compressors, rather than channel locks. Go to your local Autozone, and borrow a set from them.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Quite suprising that the shop manual doesn't have more detailed information. Another option is to take it to either a Kawasaki shop or a suspension tuner and save the grief, plus if the bike has any time on it the shock may need basic service any way and swapping springs isn't a cure all, valving might be necessary anyway.

Martin Cole

Oct 12, 2003
Hi - I had the same problem with our YZ125. The ideal is obviously a spring compressor but what worked for me was to clamp the base of the shock in the vice and rig up a system to pull the spring downwards enough to get the collet out. I used a tie-down strap with a ratchet. Place the hook from the fixed end over a spring coil near the top of the spring (not the top one) and run the tape down the side, under the clamped end in the vice jaws and up the other side. Take the other hook and attach as close as opposite as the coil will allow. Take up all the slack tape into the ratchet and then crank it up gently. It will quite easily compress the spring and allow you to lift the collet out. You will find replacing the collet afterwards a damn site easier - but don't ask why - you just seem to need far less pressure to gain enough clearance.
Good luck.
MC

Top Bottom