vmf214

Oct 4, 2005
OK - Just finished the winter rebuild (2001-220R) - everything short of splitting the cases. Got the bike together and went out for top end break in. Gears 1-3 seem fine - very difficult to get into 4th under power. Also almost impossible to find neutral when the engine is running. The shifter seems stuck at times trying for 4th gear. Changes made since last season - Hinson clutch basket with EBC clutch plates and HD springs. I put in a new gear change mechanism (the shaft your shifter bolts to) and all the springs that connect to it. When I put the new clutch plates in I DID put the coned discs back in as well. I have read some people leave these out. I have one shim on the clutch push rod. The tranny was fairly smooth at the end of last season with the exception of an occasional slip into neutral going from 1st to 2nd, upper gears were smooth. ANY IDEAS??

I will pull the side cover this weekend and get a look - I put about 45 minutes of easy riding on it. Hope major problems are not awaiting my eyes.

Thanks in advance.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
If you clutch is not slipping or dragging in the first three I would'nt spend much time there. Look at the return spring, gear set lever or the shift arm mechanism(section 5-16 in manual) for alignment issues.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom