Help! Should I buy KDX 220 - modified?

Where I ride: 50/50 mx track and jeep roads/mountain trails.
I need your help/input. I really want to buy a new/first bike this week but need a little push to get me there. Read on and tell me what you think. Thanks!!!

Who I am: New rider but aggressive and learning fast. Like to jump and hammer on technical stuff on the trails and act like a racer on the track. I'm sitting at about 165 lbs, lean. Also downhill mountain bike.

What I'd like: the best of both worlds -- a trail bike that feels almost like an mx racer when I'm trying to keep up with my mx buddies on the track or an mx bike that feels like a trail bike when I'm trying to keep up with my trail riding buddies.

Too much to ask?

I went in to look at the KLX 300 but there is a new '00 KDX 220 upgraded with a new pipe/sa and KX forks at my local shop. Should I go for it? I've heard changing the pipe is recommended by most but what about switching out the forks to the KX version?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

jsned

Subscriber
I have owened 2 KDX's and have now went to a 2001 CR250. I was wandering who did the mods to the kdx. They are as reliable a bike you could ever want, but make sure it was done right. I am about 25 lbs heavier than you, and when I owned my KDX I thought it was more than enough in the motor department. Then I got my CR. Not even close. Every where you look someone is saying how little low end a 2001 CR250 has, it might not have alot compared to the other 250's but it has tons more than a KDX. MY riding buddy has Fredettes 2000 ISDE bike. It is night and day better than a stock KDX. The bike is fully modified, and is stone reliable. Two days ago he rode my bike for the first time, and the first thing he said was, I am getting me one of these. That means nothing. Fredette can go as fast or faster than anyone on the planet on a KDX. Rambling on HUH. I guess buy what you can afford,
and buy according to condition not image or fancy foofoo stuff on the bike. Because I can tell you always working on a bike sucks. But what ever you do dont buy the KLX300.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
the KDX of course!

:D
I bought a new, 01 220r about four months ago. I have been riding all my life. mini bikes, 90's ( that dates me:D ) all the way up to a husky 400. the 220R was my first new bike. now to the point. The bike handles like a dream. I did, however, put a gnarly rev pipe on it, as per the suggestive input from here, and it did unleash more power. I love this machine. It is THE BEST of both worlds. I would go for it, so long as they dont gig ya on the price. I got mine new for 4100
Rick