Help! the ol' KDX ain't running

KDXMan1

Aug 3, 2004
I'm in a dilema guys, My KDX needs a new flywheel (magneto), stator, and fuel petcock. It'll cost aprox 1K thorough bike bandit, which is way too much. I've tried E-b-a-y with no luck. Where can I get these parts used? It seems like the KDX400 is hard for getting parts. I have a guy that will give me 100 bucks for it, but I'd like to get it running and have some fun with it. Thanx for any help or suggestions!

KDXMan1

Aug 3, 2004
Thanks for the help guys, I got in contact with the people at the bike bone yard and he said he has all three parts for $135.00 Shipped! Is that a good deal or what?

KDXMan1

Aug 3, 2004
The reason I knew I needed the parts was the fact that the wires to the stator were getting pulled into the engine and wraped around the inside. I pulled the flywheel, only to find that all the screws that hold the stator in place were missing. Previous owner must have been a odd mechainic? lol. Anyway, that caused the stator to be loose and hit the magnets on the flywheel and it destroyed both of them. The petcock just leaks, and all the seals inside are shot.

Jenx’d

Jun 24, 2003
What’s up JasonWho! I haven’t been on here in probably a year. I’m the guy in Montgomery with the ’83 KDX200(A-1). I have finished the bike and it is new from end to end save for the seized motor it now has. Fortunately, it seized while parked (but hot) and nothing “turned”. I have the motor apart and for a 21 year old bike, it was flawless on the inside save for one seized crank bearing. I just missed a complete motor on e-bay and a complete bottom end at Bike Boneyard...damn! Since I talked to you last, I have bought a mean 1999 YZ250 from a riding buddy. It features a full Pro-Action suspension done by Johnny Borders at Monster Mountain and a Pro-Circuit port, polish and shave with a full Pro-Circuit exhaust and V-Force reeds/cage. Needless to say, it’ll get the hell out of Dodge! My buddies and I ran the 24-hour hare Scramble at Perry Mountain in June (on a CRF450). Were you there? How is your ’87 KDX doing? Take care, John.

Jenx’d

Jun 24, 2003
You sound kinda like me. Sometimes I can’t decide if I like wrenching or riding more...LOL! I guess I would have to choose riding with wrenching a close second. I have an ’88 Tecate (KXF250...essentially a 4-wheeled KX250) I’m about to go through also. It’s been in a barn for about ten years and I have most all the parts so I may get by with some waterpump seals, a topend, and a carb job. We’ll see. I love those old 2-stroke ATVs! The YZ is a beast and is more motocrosser right now but I can dial the suspension as plush as I need it for the woods although it is still geared a bit high. I’m thinking about setting up another complete rear wheel for the woods (swapping the stock 19” for an 18” like a lot of the GNCC guys run) and swapping in an E-Line stator to run lights but I’ve got plenty of other “projects” for right now. For more info on the Perry Mountain 24-hour Challenge, go to: http://perrymountain.com/. Those guys really have a great thing going over there in Maplesville. We’ll be running the 24 again next year and I’m going to try and run some of those hare scrambles and or fun runs there next year. I’ll keep you posted on what happens with my KDX and if you run across any A-1, A-2 or A-3 parts, give me a shout at: john@jenkinsdesigngroup.com.
Take care,
John

Jenx’d

Jun 24, 2003
A fun run is where you just show up the day of the event, pay whatever the entry fee is (usually $10-$20) and ride the course. It’s like doing a hare scramble except there is no competition, just riding for fun. The cool part is, a lot of private clubs that have the fun runs also have full-blown hare scrambles so you do some fun runs at the club to get a feel for the terrain/course prior to racing that venue. It also gives you a chance to ride somewhere other than what you are used to. Clubs all over the country have fun runs...just check with your local motorcycle dealer because they usually have different club fliers posted on their bulletin boards or by the cash register. Between my buddies and I, we’ve got several thousand acres to ride on within 30 minutes of where we live but sometimes a change of scenery is nice. We hit as many motocross tracks as we can also. Seat time is good time!
Later,
John

KDXMan1

Aug 3, 2004
JASON!! Thanx!! I'm bidding on those parts right now! They are pretty rusty but hey maybe they'll work!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…