kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
Several families located in Southern California as well as the Bay Area of San Fransisco were planning a camping trip and ride at Hungry Valley the weekend of the 7th of Oct. Unfortunately, w/ the fires, we now have to find an alternate location. Does anyone know of a place that is about the same distance driving-wise as Hungry Valley? We don't want our friends in the Bay Area to have to drive 10 hours to go to Ocatillo Wells.

Any help would be appreciated! :cool:

Petra

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Hungry Valley is closed due to the fires? Had not heard that.

For your friends from the north, Ballinger Canyon is about the same drive time as Hungry Valley, but it would be a little further for you (about 1 hour longer than to Hungry Valley).

From the north, exit I-5 at Taft Highway. Drive toward Taft. Then take Hwy 33 South toward Maricopa. At Maricopa, drive on Hwy 166 West / Hwy 33 South (they overlap for about 20 miles). When they split, turn left (south) on Hwy 33. Ballinger Canyon Road is on the left, about 2.5 miles. Follow the Ballinger Canyon Road into the staging area. There are permanent restrooms and a loading ramp, but that is about all.

From the south, take I-5 north over the Grape Vine, then turn west on Hwy 166. Proceed into Maricopa, where you intersect with Hwy 33. Continue on 166 west/ 33 south until they split; then take 33 south about 2.5 miles to Ballinger Canyon Road.

Not sure if it is the Ballinger area is also threatened by the fire.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
dirt bike dave said:
Hungry Valley is closed due to the fires? Had not heard that.

For your friends from the north, Ballinger Canyon is about the same drive time as Hungry Valley, but it would be a little further for you (about 1 hour longer than to Hungry Valley).

From the north, exit I-5 at Taft Highway. Drive toward Taft. Then take Hwy 33 South toward Maricopa. At Maricopa, drive on Hwy 166 West / Hwy 33 South (they overlap for about 20 miles). When they split, turn left (south) on Hwy 33. Ballinger Canyon Road is on the left, about 2.5 miles. Follow the Ballinger Canyon Road into the staging area. There are permanent restrooms and a loading ramp, but that is about all.

From the south, take I-5 north over the Grape Vine, then turn west on Hwy 166. Proceed into Maricopa, where you intersect with Hwy 33. Continue on 166 west/ 33 south until they split; then take 33 south about 2.5 miles to Ballinger Canyon Road.

Not sure if it is the Ballinger area is also threatened by the fire.

Sad that it's closed... here's the link http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1192

I'll check into the Balinger Canyon info. Thanks!

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Ballinger would be a bad idea. All of Los Padres in Ventura and Kern is closed. Highway 33 is closed North around Maricopa, plus you add fire restrictions = bad camping.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Meet at Pismo Beach. camp on the beach, ride in the dunes swim in the ocean. You can rent trailer for beach camping from luv 2 camp or bring you own tent or trailer. you don't really need 4 wheel drive unless you want to drive your truck up in te reall soft sand. I've been many times in my 2 wheel drive truck.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
scar tissue said:
Meet at Pismo Beach. camp on the beach, ride in the dunes swim in the ocean. You can rent trailer for beach camping from luv 2 camp or bring you own tent or trailer. you don't really need 4 wheel drive unless you want to drive your truck up in te reall soft sand. I've been many times in my 2 wheel drive truck.
don't you have to put paddles on the bikes to ride at Pismo? I also thought you had to make reservations w/ plenty of advance notice when camping...

hmmm, don't know about dunes.... :whoa:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
no and no. I've easily ridden everything out there without a paddle. Just lower the tire pressure down to around 8-10 PSI and go. If you try to go real slow it becomes more of a challenge. The sands kind of wet due to the ocean.

re res. you can call up and make one right now. look up Oceana Dunes which is teh new name for pismo. they have pictures on the website. If you want to stay in the RV park behind the dunes and away from the beach, I'd absolutley make one. If you're going to beach camp, it's nice but not needed. Just expect tight camping quarters down by the water. since there aren't any marked spots people pack in kind of tight. Also, I pulled my trailer out there several times without trouble in my 2 wheel drive. You drive along the water line so the sand is wet and packed.

If you go over a weekend, there alot of people riding quads and driving trucks between you and the water. so don't expect a peacefull quite beach trip. The sounds of the ocean surprisingly drowns out alot of the vehicle noise. it's helpful to bring logs, stacks or flags and carve out a little yard for your crew. we usually make a U with the vehicles and go out another 10 yrds with some large pieces of firewood.

have fun

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, full containment of the Day Fire is expected today. I have not checked to see when the riding areas will re-open.

BTW, it never got close to Ballinger Canyon, though I would not be surprised if they got plenty of ash.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
Thanks for all of the information and suggestions. I think we will be heading out to Jawbone for the weekend. From what I have been able to find out, it should be fun.

Petra

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom