HELP!! what to get and where to go

nuggins

Feb 21, 2003
hello all. i've been reading the posts for a few weeks and i finally decided to write one myself. here's my deal: i'm 26 5'9" 170lbs and am in great shape. i rode for the first time a few weeks ago on an older honda 200 and now i'm hooked. thing is i need to get a bike and find a place to go. i have 1 friend who rides but he just got hurt so i'll be flying solo for awhile. i live in south orange county ca and have been looking for a bike every day but can't decide what to get.
at first i was thinking a 99-01 yz250 but now i don't know. should i go 2 or 4 stroke?? and what it the difference?? i checked out a few yz250s over the weekend and they were all too tall for me. they can be adjusted right?? i really don't have much fear of power or anything and want something that i can use for some time to come with proper maint.
i can spend 3000 but would like to spend only 2500 on a bike and put the rest into gear. any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance. s/f

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
4 strokes are easier to ride, especially for a new rider. A 2 stroke requires more clutch control (slipping the clutch to keep the engine from bogging). 4 strokes have a more broad power band , which is really an advantage for trail riding, hill climbing, etc. Also in CA. you have to deal with the green sticker/ red sticker issue. 4 strokes pollute far less than 2 strokes. Check out the YZ250F ( four stroke 250, lower seat than the YZ250 2 stroke), DRZ250, CRF 230, XR250

Your choices are going to be limited by your budget, but check out www.cycletrader.com. Check the ads in your neighboring states, you may find a good deal just a few hours away.

Good Luck

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Do you plan on riding track or trail? With 2500 I would look for a 97 or older 2 stroke. Getting a 97 or older will allow you to get a green sticker. It lets you ride off road year round. If you plan on doing some rides with the So. Cal guys you will need a spark arrestor. Its not only required but definitely needed. Until recently our mountains were very dry.

Dont worry about riding solo their is always somebody out here looking for a ride. After you get the bike I would recommend heading to El Mirage to get some time on the bike. There is plenty of room out there to ride around without worrying about other people.

Also....good choice on saving some money for gear. :thumb: Be sure to check in the "SoCal Wrecking Crew" forum.

Jeff

Top Bottom