Feb 23, 2008
I have bought a 98 cr125 that has been stored outside. I bought it with it not running. It was locked up. thinking it was a seized piston but turned out their was water in the crank. After flushing it with gear oil I finally got it unstuck. Problem is it will start and sounds fine but then it hits a tight spot in the crank and dies. Sometimes I have to put a wrench on the magneto nut to get it free. I think one of the bearings on the crank is rusted and needs to unstuck or cleaned somehow. Is there a way to lube a bottom end up that actually works. I was thinking like letting diesel sit in the crank for a couple hours or something. Does anybody have any suggestion? What kind of oil should I put in the crank? Please help me out I really dont want to take it to the shop. Im very mechanical inclined, I just am not familiar with splitting the case and was trying to avoid that. Thanks

Red Pinger

Mar 7, 2007
The damage has been done. You're not going to get it to un-stick and run properly. It's a high performance engine designed to run at extreme parameters. Trying to run it like that may double or triple the cost to repair it in the future. I know this isn't what you want to hear ... but what it is ...is what it is!

yz80nbeast

Jan 25, 2007
i would say(you probably dont want to)take it to the shop and let them do the bottom end on your bike, or get a clymers, and take a chance.

bwood

Mar 21, 2004
It is not too difficult, but I would recommend getting a Clymer or Honda Service manual and looking through the process and tools before you tear into it. It also wouldn't hurt to invest in a service manual, this won't be the only time you use it. I would recommend Motosport Outlet (link) for the parts. They sell complete motor kits (Hot Rods crank, crank bearings, crank seals, engine gasket set, top end set) I would also recommend locating a seal set for the motor (it would include kickshaft seal, shiftshaft seal, counter shaft seal(s), crank seals (these would end up being extra, but it never hurts to have extra crank seals on a 2 stroke) and water pump seals). Midwest Action Cycle (link) usually has these. Good Luck

Last edited:

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Take it to a privately owned shop. Less money and better work than a dealer. Doing it your self is fun but if you do it wrong you'll be taking it to a shop anyway.

The shop can press apart the crank and replace the big end bearings but it sounds like you may have some journal damage. Hot rods makes a complete replacement crank and rod set at a fair price.

Top Bottom