thormx549

Jan 25, 2004
I'm going to buy an FMF gnarly desert pipe for my 220, but I'm unsure which silencer to go with. Do most guys get the Powercore 2 or the Turbinecore 2? Would the Powercore 2 not be allowed in certain riding areas because of noise? How about for racing harescrambles and enduros, do they have a certain noise limit that you have to reach? Sorry for my ignorance about this topic but I'm a motocross racer and just recently decided to buy a trail bike for the weekends I'm not racing motocross, so I'm not to knowledgable about the whole woods riding scene. Thanks for your help guys. :cool:

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
If you ride on "government" land you'll need a spark arrestor.

I used to have a Turbine Core (1) silencer. It was fairly loud. I rode a KDX with a TC 2 silencer and it was a little quieter. I then bought an FMF "Q" silencer and am very happy with it. The sound out of the end of the pipe is less than the sound out of the engine cases and sides of the Gnarly pipe. I noticed no difference in performance between the TC 1 and the "Q" (or at least it was so slight I couldn't really tell the difference). It is also a spark arrestor. My neighbors didn't like it when I fired up my 200H for test running purposes (or whatever) when I had the TC 1. Now with the "Q" they don't seem to mind. I would go with the "Q" without hesitation.

The less noise we can reasonably produce when we ride the longer we'll be able to enjoy our sport. I can understand a little more noise when it gets us significant power gains, but with the KDX there isn't enough difference between the "Q" and the louder ones (if at all) to justify the extra noise IMO.

thormx549

Jan 25, 2004
Now when you say that you need a spark arrestor for riding on government land, is this something that is actually enforced or checked, or is it something that they assume you will have?

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I race and ride in the desert's and forest's of New Mexico. I've never been asked about a spark arrestor on a casual ride(by the law anyway). But they do a tech inspection at every race and that is a requirement. Just my 2 cent's. ;)

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
"Now when you say that you need a spark arrestor for riding on government land, is this something that is actually enforced or checked, or is it something that they assume you will have?" If you get stopped by a ranger at a trailhead or road crossing or whatever reason I would say 8 out of 10 times they check for a spark arrestor. If you don't have one and the guy's a prick you could be paying a hefty fine and pushing your bike back. Better to be safe than sorry and poorer.

thormx549

Jan 25, 2004
So wait you need a spark arrestor for racing? I thought they were considered closed-course competition where you can run whatever you want. Thanks for the input guys.

Junkyard Dog

Mar 31, 2004
I ride the Desert poker runs and toys for tots races out here in So Cal. and they do check for spark arrestors. If you don't have one, they send you home. These races are run out in the open desert

The Rangers in Big Bear / Lake Arrowhead area will also check for them, I wouldn't want to be caught without one because the fines out here will make you cry.

On my 03, KDX200 I run the Pro circuit spark arrestor which is louder than stock, but not any louder than the one on my KX250.

Haven't tried the FMF Q, but that sounds like the way to go.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I rode for years and was never checked. About 3 years ago I started to see the Rangers show up at popular riding spots (you know, the ones they haven't figured out how to close yet) and check everyone in sight. They not only stick their little thingy down the silencer to see if the spinner or screen is there, but also check the numbers on the silencer too. How many of you have ever heard of a fire being started by a spark that came out of the exhaust of a dirt bike? I sure haven't.

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
I ride in the woods of NC and WV. I've never been tech checked for the required spark arrestor but...If a ranger did a tech check in the woods it would be a long walk/push back to the trail head.
I run the Turbine Core 2 silencer / spark arrestor not only because it's required but also because it's the responsible thing to do. Maybe if all of us would be a little more responsible our riding parks would quit being shut down. It is too easy to use a spark arrestor in the woods. Don't give the eco-freaks a reason to lobby for closing our riding parks.
I mean...why not run a silencer a spark arrestor? It would have to be proven to me that there is amy significant power loss and even if there were a softening of the two stroke powerband hit. Isn't that what you want in the woods? A softer more tourqey powerband is what gives you traction in the woods.
I live across the street from a motocross track and I can tell you that those guys with super loud four stroke "silencers" will get us all banned from public lands in short order
Just my 2 cents worth.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
BJH said:
I live across the street from a motocross track and I can tell you that those guys with super loud four stroke "silencers" will get us all banned from public lands in short order
Just my 2 cents worth.

Your two cents should include 2-strokes with shorty silencer's as well! :nener:

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
YZ165 said:
Your two cents should include 2-strokes with shorty silencer's as well! :nener:

Ok I agree shorty silencers are too loud as well but...Even the sound of the 2 stroke shorty doesn't carry as far as the deeper note of the four strokers.

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
Rhodester said:
How many of you have ever heard of a fire being started by a spark that came out of the exhaust of a dirt bike? I sure haven't.

you know what WOULD start a forst fire fast is having the header on one of these new performance 4 strokes hit some dry brush those suckers GLOW red i was thinking about it the other day when i was watching my friends header on his 426 glow bright red when revving it at a stop :| :yikes:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom