jerinyeahoh

Feb 13, 2010
i bought a 2002 rm125 a few days ago and still trying to get the kinks worked out.. only thing left is when i get it started (kicking it not jumping it) when i put it in 1st it just dies, acts like the clutch isnt all the way engaged but the lever is.. someone told me maybe needs new clutch plates.. does that sound about right?? if so, where do yall recommend i buy from? also it wont just idle. itll stay on all day if your giving it gas but wont just idle..?? and i dont know where idle adjuster or anything is....

In come tacks

Feb 10, 2010
jerinyeahoh said:
i bought a 2002 rm125 a few days ago and still trying to get the kinks worked out.. only thing left is when i get it started (kicking it not jumping it) when i put it in 1st it just dies, acts like the clutch isnt all the way engaged but the lever is.. someone told me maybe needs new clutch plates.. does that sound about right?? if so, where do yall recommend i buy from? also it wont just idle. itll stay on all day if your giving it gas but wont just idle..?? and i dont know where idle adjuster or anything is....

First, if the fuel is old, mix fresh 32/1. May take 15 min of riding to clear the lines, bowl, and cylinder. Push off before you let the clutch go to keep from stalling.

Carb cleaning or jetting I'd say, but check your air filter first. Could be an air leak or a clogged jet. If it likes more rev the spark is probably good.

Too much air in the A/F mixture. The lean engine condition could be causing the engine to die under load, the clutch may be fine. After clearing the fuel problem, a good launch will test the clutch. You'll either lift the front wheel or you'll feel the clutch slip.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Sometimes clutch plates stick together if the bike's been sitting a while and/or the gear oil is old.
I'd take the clutch pack apart and hit each friction plate lightly with an ultra-fine sandpaper (lay the sandpaper on a flat surface, do about a half-dozen figure 8's to each side). While in there check the clutch basket for notching, and the metal drive plates for discoloration/warping.
Automotive ATF type F works real well in the Suzukis. We change oil about every 4-5 hours of run time.
We like the Suzy 2-strokers, but their clutches are high maintainance.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
is there free play in the handle?? to adjust it, stick the edge of a penny in the lever and tighten adjuster til the penny is snug

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
jerinyeahoh said:
also it wont just idle. itll stay on all day if your giving it gas but wont just idle..?? and i dont know where idle adjuster or anything is....

2 stroke are never set to idle. If you have the manual it tell you where is the idle set screw so you can make it idle if that is the way you like it.

jerinyeahoh

Feb 13, 2010
i replaced the fluid in there with some new maxima fluid and cleaned up those plates a little and it seems alot better now. and i dont have a manual for the bike or i wouldnt have asked where that was.. but i didnt know if they were supposed to idle or not, everyone tells me somethin different so im just gonna leave it

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
blue circle .................air/fuel mixture
red circle...................idle speed

Attachments

• 83CR125carb.jpg
    83CR125carb.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,483

FLYING.FINN

Mar 3, 2010
Doesn't sound bad for an eight year old bike!,...congratulations on a good find. After riding for awhile/working out the kinks,.. then you should upgrade; all you would really need to have an A-1 pit/trail bike,.. is a new clutch pack, (for premium performance),..and to properly rebuild/clean/re-jet(or replace), your carburetor. After all this and also changing the oil, air filter and new pre-mix fuel in the tank,..you should consider honing the cylinder head, new piston rings and maybe even a porting job. Good luck+have fun.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
FLYING.FINN said:
you should consider honing the cylinder head

Say what? :whoa:

FLYING.FINN

Mar 3, 2010
Not now!...after this season is over and winter comes. That's what you do,..take the bike completely apart,..clean all parts..etc. Honing the cylinder head on an 8-year old bike and changing the piston rings is an easy job,...it'll give you new found compression/the power you crave. Doing all this will get you better aquainted with your bike. [the other stuff I mentioned,..would only serve to upgrade your current situation...make/give you a very healthy ride]. sorry If I threw you off guard.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999

FLYING.FINN

Mar 3, 2010
What??? I don't get what you're not getting? Reading the post..to me sounds like this is your first bike...so, as a mechanic/fellow dirtbike enthusiast, I thought I'd give some friendly advice on how to upgrade(for cheap), the bike. Sure..sanding the clutch plates will work for now,...but in the long run wouldn't you want to swap them out for a new basket?...wouldn't and 8-year old 2-stroker benefit from honing the cylinder+new set of rings? (or if required after opening..a boring job)...I'm just trying to offer friendly assistance.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
FLYING.FINN said:
What??? I don't get what you're not getting? Reading the post..to me sounds like this is your first bike...so, as a mechanic/fellow dirtbike enthusiast, I thought I'd give some friendly advice on how to upgrade(for cheap), the bike. Sure..sanding the clutch plates will work for now,...but in the long run wouldn't you want to swap them out for a new basket?...wouldn't and 8-year old 2-stroker benefit from honing the cylinder+new set of rings? (or if required after opening..a boring job)...I'm just trying to offer friendly assistance.

Now you are getting it. :nod: Honing the head is not something that should be done

FLYING.FINN

Mar 3, 2010
oldguy said:
Now you are getting it. :nod: Honing the head is not something that should be done
"THANK GOD!! oldman!"....I thought I was in the "TWILIGHT" zone losing it. How's this; bore it out..MAX allowable,..get a "BIG PISTON", stroker kit, (after doing a bit of dremel mods),..bigger mm carb and lets hit the races! :boss:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
FLYING.FINN said:
"THANK GOD!! oldman!"....I thought I was in the "TWILIGHT" zone losing it. How's this; bore it out..MAX allowable,..get a "BIG PISTON", stroker kit, (after doing a bit of dremel mods),..bigger mm carb and lets hit the races! :boss:
Nothing like a bigger bore but I leave the Dremel work to Eric Gorr before I destroy any performance characteristics :cool:

FLYING.FINN

Mar 3, 2010
oldguy said:
Nothing like a bigger bore but I leave the Dremel work to Eric Gorr before I destroy any performance characteristics :cool:
I 100% AGREE. (I've been reading up on his work/business and writings the past week,...awsome engineer he is).

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
FLYING.FINN said:
Sure..sanding the clutch plates will work for now,...but in the long run wouldn't you want to swap them out for a new basket?
Ummm

FLYING.FINN

Mar 3, 2010
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Wellll...not right this minute!...it'll work fine for the upcoming season I'm sure. I just meant like next winter...(myself,..I strip the bike right down and "detail" each and every component....and if something like the clutch plates were wearing,.. like on yours,...I'd give the bike a present and give it a new "basket" full of plates). What ever you can "refurbish...refurbish. All I do is eventually swap out old for new on certain items each off season when it's apart. Know what I mean?

Top Bottom