Help with new bike

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I just got my new '03 KDX200 yesterday and I'm SO excited! I've been out of trail riding for about 10 years and I'm itching to get back out there!

I read the "New Bike Info" on the JustKDX site and I have some questions:
1) Do I have to take the chain off to clean it? Can I clean it in place and then put lube on it, or should I just spray lube on it and be done with it? What should I clean it with?
2) I want to change the transmission fluid. The manual says to use 10W-40-ish motor oil. Can I use a synthetic motor oil in there?
3) Am I the only person who is reluctant to tear apart his/her brand new motorcycle and do stuff to it? I had an old beater bike 10 years ago and I didn't mind messing with it, but tear apart the suspension linkage on my NEW bike? I did that on the old bike and I can do it on my new one, but I'm uneasy about it...

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Oh yeah, another thing...

Do I REALLY need to tear down the engine for an inspection now that the break in is over? Yes, I know that would be the most complete thing to do, but do most riders really do that?

And all I could really do for the break in period was ride around my yard in 1st/2nd gear. I didn't hit it hard and I ran it in 10/20/30 minute cycles with cooldowns in between, but I never really got it up to speed. Should I consider the break in over at this point?

Thanks so much for helping this newbie out!!!

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
just lube the chain unless its really dirty. i run synthetic in mine, 10w40 amsoil motor oil without any problems. i didnt tear my top end down after break in, replaced rings after first year. the old ones were still good just changed them since i had it apart. i grease my swingarm (tear it down) once a year. try running synthetic premix at 40 to 50:1. will keep your exhaust valves cleaner. good luck on your jetting adventure. this is just my 2 cents others may say different.

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Newbie to Newbie(Star Wars?),

Going on 2nd summer w/2002 KDX 200. This is a combination of thoughts and advice learned on this site w/a dash of personal experience.

1. Dont spend too much time w/ the factory chain/sprockets you will need to change them soon. Some sort of rubber alloy...? But to make it last, clean w/ brush or whatever and lube.
2. Went w/manual for tranny oil - 2050 summer 1040 fall/wint/spring - many do use synthetic. Everyone swears by their brand/weight, but I've yet to hear of one type(proven) to out performing another.
3. Buy a manual - repack all bearings. I haven't had a bearing problem, but heard enough convincing info to do it - doesnt take alot of time anyway.
4. Also went w/32:1 Maxima SuperM - again, seemed to be popular and along w/the oil,...I've yet to hear of one type(proven) to out perform another. Lots of good oils on the market - pick one.
5. Don't sweat the break-in scare in the manual. Sounds like your ready to rip.
6. Print a copy of "Carburator tuning" by Canadian Dave, read it and rejett.

This should get you started, I have my bike tweaked to meet and beat my W. Pa. riding areas. I ride/rode w/ some great riders and rode side by side - be patient, ride for a while and tailor your bike to meet your riding conditions.

Good Luck

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
why give up any power with an o ring chian, it aint like the kdx is abundant with it. run an o ring on a kx. if you take care of a regular chain it will last. if you dont think that unnecessary o ring is eating power put on a standard chain and see how much more freely your rear whell spins. doesn't that tell you something? use what you like though its your bike.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Thanks, that does help. The brush idea is good. I'll go ahead and get a service manual (Lord willing) and disassemble the suspension linkage for a good greasing, maybe the steering stem too...

I did that on my previous KDX200 (and loads of other stuff too), but it was wore out when I got it and I wasn't worried about it. With a new bike, I just want to be more careful.

Thanks again for all of the outstanding info!!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…