Help with Title/Registration in California

leone35130

May 31, 2004
Hello All,

I bought a 2001 KDX 200 on **** a couple months ago from a guy in Florida. Before 2002 dirt bikes in Florida did not have to be titled or registered. So it didn't come with a title... However, the seller sent me the original bill of sale and the notarized copy of the satisfaction of the lien, and a bill of sale between him and I.

So I make an appointment with the California DMV to register it and get my green sticker. I bring in all my paperwork and the dumb bimbo behind the counter asks for the title. I tell there is no title. So she whips out some manual and says that Florida dirt bikes are titled but not registered.

She then gives me some form to take to the CHP to get the VIN verified, which I have no problem with. She also takes my 220 bucks in tax and registration and gives me a temp tag.

But how am I supposed to get a title from Florida when I already took delivery of the bike??? If I can't get the bike titled in California because I need a title from Florida, how am I supposed to do it in Florida?

Anyone else run into the same problem?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
There is a HUGE difference in competence levels between various DMV employees. Some could not find their behind with both hands, and others really know their game.

It may be worth your while to try another DMV with better management and standards. Perhaps a local motorcycle dealer can tell you which DMV in your area is most knowledgeable about motorcycle reg issues.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
The Vin verification is standard for vehicles coming from out of state, don't worry. Schedule an appointment at your local CHP office and bring it in. Not having a title is not a problem either, alot of states were and still are like that. You should be able to bring in the paperwork you have and then possibly have to fill out a statement of facts stating just what you have written. Like dave said, unfortunately, going to different DMV's gives you different results. Who knows, trying another one may get you plates for it too! Good luck

Top Bottom