..HELP..yz250f: intermittent compression loss.

zag

Aug 10, 2000
YZF owners, techs: My (and a few others') bikes are experiencing intermittent loss of compression when the bike is cold. After that, the bike runs/starts normally.

The folks on thumpertalk's yz250f forum are discussing this, and I think we're stuck:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/bike/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=001661

The first time, on a 50 degree day, it started second kick, I coasted down a hill and dropped it. It spite of the decomp being in the off position, it would kick through with almost zero compression. I checked the decomp, it was fully seated in the off position at the cylinder head. 30+ kicks later the compression returned, it fired and ran fine (very strong) for the next hour.
The next ride a week later, 55 degrees out, it took 10+ kicks before compression returned, allowing it to start the first time, then it was fine all day. I don't feel any power loss or holes in the powerband. Revs, lugs, starts first or second kick. I just started it, 65 degrees outside, it had compression right away and started after about 10 kicks, then ran fine and will start after 1 kick.

Other factoids: 800+ miles of my-HS-pace trail riding, beginner MX use, 2 HS, 2 MX race weekends. On my 10th? oil filter, been using Mobil1 15w/50 per TT advice since mile 200. Depending on conditions, I rev or lug the motor. Bike is stock, stock pipe and jetting, fuel screw at 1.5 turns. I check the airboot at each filter cleaning with a white towel, no evidence of dirt getting past.

I was thinking: ? valve adjustment, ring wear, oil thickening due to temperature, or piston ring groove clearance problems due to the piston head hammering down. Some folks think it might be carbon buildup on top of the valve, temporarily causing a leak. Others have actually torn into the motor to find the intake valves wearing out the seats, but the exhaust valves are fine(!).

I don't want to grenade my bike, I'm -so- confused as to what's wrong. Suggestions, comments - help!

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
that compresion loss happend on my 01 wr426, tipped it over while running. it came back, i read the thumper posts. it doesn't really worry me.makes it a bear to start tho.:D

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I pulled my head off after a season off thrashing and found the valve faces and seats to be perfect on my 01wr426.
I have never personally experienced this anomoly, but might suspect a sticky bucket/bore interface.

zag

Aug 10, 2000
Thanks for the info - one more thing to check when I tear it apart. I just rode 40 miles today and the bike felt like new, no problems. I wonder if a bit of clutch material got stuck between the valve bucket and head?

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
If clutch material can get up to the top end it would be a problem.
I think it would have to come up the cam chain, and it seems unlikely.

HEY RICH!
What do you think of this compression loss business?:scream:

JAMRACING

Apr 21, 2000
I pulled the head off my friends 250f, and found the valve seats to be sub-par quality!! We had the seats and valve faces re-done, and had the springs shimmed (valve float is bad). It now runs great.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Ive experienced this, and have 'heard' that on a cold, fuel soaked cylinder, that an excessive amount of fuel can keep the rings from sealing to the cylinder wall , <:think>

hotdigatee

Nov 4, 2001
Last time i was at the track on my new '01 WR, another brand new WR 250f had this same problem- it was a warm day- bike ran fine- then stopped- 0 compression. Could push the kickstarter down with our hands. The bike only had done 80kms. Bit of a worry.

DAve

Top Bottom