jixxxer

Jan 5, 2009
Help; bike size?

Hello, first time poster. Im 35; new to dirtbikes but have had a few crotchrockets and 4 wheelers. Looking for a decent bike to learn to ride on with my son. He has a pw50.

Im 5-11
200#'s
Just looking to learn the basics, will be riding around the yard and my buddy has a small motox track that i may ride on, eventually if I enjoy it enough I will get a motox bike. DEf. want a four stroke!

Have at most 1500 bucks to spend.
Found an XR200 03 model in great cond.
Is this bike to small for me??

Thanks!!

Last edited:

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
for putting around the yard with your son it would be just fine. wouldn't be much fun on a motocross track or taking off with older people to ride with. Personally it would bore the heck out of me....

Mar 18, 2006
you could probably pick up a real nice KDX200/220 for that money. An XR400 would also be nice, but a good one may be harder to find. They would both be decent bikes to start on. The xr200 would probably quickly seem somewhat underpowered for your 200#. Spend some time searching and reading on this forum and you will find out what you want to know.

jixxxer

Jan 5, 2009
couple reasons..........im gonna be putt putting around the yard with my son; i like the low maintenace and the sound issue.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Well the sound of a 4 stroke carries a LOT further then a 2 stroke. and on MX bikes 4 strokes are a LOT LOT less reliable and cost more to maintain then two strokes. I dont mean to be rude im just letting you know.
however the older KLX's and XR's are vary reliable and they are lots of fun!
but if your going to ride on an MX track you will need somthing with stiffer suspension. I think a 125 two stroke would be the best choice
If you really want a 4 stroke though, I would try to find the newest one possible and then tear it down and really look it over,put a new top and bottom end in it.

Mar 18, 2006
stock KDX's (and perhaps some other 2-strokes) are very quiet and very low maintenance. With better performance than similarly tuned 4 strokes. The KDX makes a really nice trail bike. The best, in my opinion.

Top Bottom