jimacton

Nov 22, 2003
Hey guys, I'm a true beginner to this sport(never even ridden a motor cycle). I need to know what would be a good choice for a used bike. I'm 6' tall and 230 lbs. I will probably be doing very light trail riding but don't want to have to upgrade any time soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

At your size, a KDX-220/200 would probable be a great bike for you to start on. A lot of people move up to these bikes, but there are also quite a few who start up on them. A major benefit of these bikes is that you won't get bored with them. They have as much power as you need or want. These bikes are two strokes, but are not as high maintainence as the motocross bikes. Another bike that would be good to start on and that is much mellower than the kdx is the Honda XR-250. It's a fourstroke and isn't quite on the Kawasaki's level but it is still a great bike to learn on.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
HI Jimacton:
1st let me say - WELCOME!!
THe question you pose is stated clearly enough - used TRAILBIKE not dirtbike/MXer. The XR250/400 and the KDX200 come to my mind as among the best beginner TRAILBIKES for the larger sized person to learn on. They are both VERY tough (durable) and both hold their own in the resale department... Notice I chose 1 bike from each area (2 and 4 stroke) beacuse you will be facing the "stroke" delima - "choices/choices".. Personally I like the 2 stroke models for beginners because they tend to be easier to start after a fall and they are simpler to do repair on..
I mentioned resale, resale is important because sooner or later (probably sooner then you think) you WILL upgrade!! Biking is like any other interest you may have. It is "accumulative" in the sense of, as your skills increase your need for machinery that requires more skills increases too! Put bluntly, you will probalby find situations while riding your trailbike that you will say "I wish I would have bought the faster, more powerful bike in the first place". When that happens remember that it is the skills learned on the lesser bike that allow you to make that statement!! A beginning rider starting out on a full blown woods race bike can get real ugly/messy real quickly - like at the first set of trees after a section of whoops.....
Dont get to caught up in which bike is better, faster, cooler, more powerful, most admired by other riders and all that unimportant stuff!! GET A BIKE AN LEARN TO RIDE - thats where the REAL fun is!!!
HAVE FUN!
Woodsy

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Ditto: 00 KDX 220 or Newer. 96 XR 250 or newer. If you have deep pockets. KTM exc 250 rfs, The little thumper that could! Don't get caught up in bigger is better.

PS: If Need a cheaper bike. I have older tricked out 92 XR250 the in good shape. And I ride the grand rapids area all the time. So you could check it out very easily.

Last edited:

jimacton

Nov 22, 2003
thanks for the info on the type of bike i need to get. I really appreciate the input and the words of welcome. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Thanks again
Jimacton

Top Bottom