jjgi5150

Jun 18, 2005
New to this forum. It looks to be a very well run one, though, with lots of good info. I am posting here in this area first, as my impending purchase is a new-to-me 2003 CR250R.

I have always owned Honda dirt bikes in the past, and always had good luck with them. My last was a 1990 CR500R, and what a great bike it was, although very brutal in all manners. I also had a same year CR125 that I bought for the then girlfriend, and it too was a great running bike. My very first Honda dirt bike was a 1983 CR480. I've always gone with the larger bores because I am heavy framed, and back then weighed around 220+/-. I've also had Honda 250R quads, and now now a Polaris Preadator 500 f/s quad, which is all I been riding lately. But I DO miss a good two stroke dirt bike!

I now weigh in at about 208, and I'm getting the '03 CR250 as a fun, all around desert bike. I ride at Glamis alot, and in other harder packed dirt areas here in SoCal where I live. I also want to use the CR250 as a 'trainer' that my youngest son (23) can learn to ride on...since he wants to start both dirt and street riding.

I have read quite a bit of past articles on the '03 CR250, and have not found any major negatives about that year. Does anyone one the site have any knowledge of problems with this year bike? It is mostly stock, with a Doma pipe and V-Force reeds, and a good filter. It was very well maintained and ADULT owned/ridden.

Sorry for the long post, and I hope it OK in this section...

Thanks in advance for any answers.

JJ

MX851

Jun 14, 2005
I havent heard of any problems with this bike. But for when you ride Glamis or in any deep sand like that you need to rejet your carburator very lean because the sand is almost doubling the load on the motor(even with paddle tires) which causes the motor to gulp fuel down like crazy. By the way is glamis fun, I always wanted to go after seeing the seth enslow jump in crusty when he jumps the dune into the crowd of people landing on McGrath's practice bike.

Im done :blah: :blah: :blah:

CspineRider

Jun 16, 2005
" But for when you ride Glamis or in any deep sand like that you need to rejet your carburator very lean because the sand is almost doubling the load on the motor" NO, NO, NO. rejet the opposite, just go one richer on the main and run 32:1. Dont go leaner, you will seize that bike real quick. My 97 CR250 is a stock 175 main jet, when I go to glamis, I put in a 178 main. Thats of course temperature being perfect

jjgi5150

Jun 18, 2005
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, Glamis is about the most fun spot to ride anything dirt related on the whole planet. On a quiet weekday on slow weekend, it's like you dropped in on the far side of the moon. You can easily get lost in the dunes...to where you probably should carry a GPS with you. On a busy day, it's like a free money give-away day at the welfare office in downtown LA...you can hardly find a spot to go without bumping into someone else. It's mostly quads, which I really love, but still lots of 2-wheelers and now tons of mega buck sand rails....someday, I'll get me one of those ...

I'm going to go finalize this purchase today at 3:00 PM, and hopefully it will all go well. I'll let you all know later...

Thanks,

JJ

jjgi5150

Jun 18, 2005
Hi everyone,

Just a litte update note to everyone. I did get the bike last week, and have been doing some minor upgrades and clean up since then. I haven't even gotten to really ride yet, since I wanted to go through it and make sure everything was good. I did cruise up and down my street a few times, and all seems well.

I had to replace the chain, as the stock one was badly stretched out. I got a good deal on a DID ER Gold. I also replaced the front srpocket, as it had some wear signs. The aftermarket steel 50 tooth rear was only ridden about two times, and still showed excellent like-new teeth.

I also got an extra Twin-Air filter pod so I will always have a fresh air filter ready to go when riding. Aside from a lot of clean up, which is certainly expected on a dirt bike, all was looking real good. The top half of the motor has never been off, so it's still original bore size.

I live at sea level in So Cal, in the low desert, where it runs about 100+ in the summer. I am running a Doma nickle pipe with the factory Honda silencer. The jetting is as follows:

35 slow jet
6BHY38-71 Needle jet, 2nd clip
400 main jet.

It does feel like I may have to make some minor adjustments, possibly with the air screw, but since I haven't really had a chance to run it yet, I will wait till next weekend to give it spin for jetting purposes.

Anyway, thanks again to eveyrone who responded earlier....Can't wait to start riding....

JJ

Top Bottom