kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Hey guys, I've been lurking for awhile now. Lots of stuff going on with use here. One of the things that happened is that I found out about the Sport Pilot certificate. This allows a person to fly a small airplane with less time and cost. Also I found out that experimental home builts have progressed beyond what they were.. back in the day :) Anyway I have been building and airplane in the basement, and finishing the basement and a bunch of other Honey Doos as well. I have attached a pic of the rudder. All the parts were hand formed by yours truly. It will take a while but I have always wanted to fly, it just was not in the cards that the fortune gods dealt me :whoa:
But its getting done!

Oh by the way Pred, I am going to use the hated 4 stoke in this thing, go figure! :whoa:

Kevin

Attachments

• DSC00026.JPG
    DSC00026.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_0578.JPG
    100_0578.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Rudder.jpg
    Rudder.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 178

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Its a CH701, I think it will end up with a Suzuki G13BB engine and Raven SVS redrive... those Rotax 912ULS engine cost 2/3 of what my first house did... literally! I will be able to land and take off in my yard, but it still has some speed and range. Plus the Suzuki gets 2.5 to 3 gph in slow cruise of 80mph or so, this will allow me to be able to afford to fly it!

What you working on?

PS this is not my engine, mine is in the car my daughter is driving... pretty handy ;)

Attachments

• suzuki1300.jpg
    suzuki1300.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 167

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I'm working to build a Bearhawk. But I'm slow at the building portion. I still putter, but my progress isn't stellar. I too worry about being able to afford flying the plane when I finish it. It has me looking at some different planes, but at my size there aren't many that will handle my hugeness

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Home built/sport pilots are the only future for general aviation. Between cost and regulations, flying is becoming near impossible for most.
I grew up flying with my dad. Nearly every weekend was spent flying. I learned to fly before I learned to ride a motorcycle. Got my degree in aviation and instrumentation just before the 1990 industry collapse. As the industry began to recover, I went into another field. Have fun with the building and flying, definitely has its rewards. :cool:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Have you heard about the CH 750? It is at the LSA limit of 1320 lbs and the rumor is that they are going to allow both kit and plans building. Raven also has a G16 at 110hp and about 4gph @75% cruise and the G13 can have a turbo added for 115hp. The airframe is designed around an O-200, I think cruise is about 5gph. There is also the corvair engine, they have started to make a 4130 forged crank so it ought to be close to an 0-200 but cheaper, by another big portion of my first house :whoa: .

http://www.raven-rotor.com/
http://www.magnificentmachine.com/index.html
http://www.flycorvair.com/index.html

All the guys at the above are owned by great guys who love what they do!

Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 165

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
You got that right, I learned to fly a long while ago... um unofficially, in a Beech Musketeer flying between my home town and Canada. ( insert wealthy older brother in law with trust funds, resorts and multiple homes here, who was looking to sleep the whole way!) Oh well, he did take me to my first enduro!
Anyway even the ultralite guys are regulated now! A rebuild on a Continental 0-200 costs $20,000! I think that more conversions like the Raven will come out soon. The venerable VW is still a major force, A complete NEW not re-mfg engine and redrive is around 6K and you can buy it a part at a time if your wish. The Raven G13BB is about the same.
The kit for a 701 is around 13K,sans Rotax engine. But a plans built one with the Raven engine is about 10 to 12K flying. And the kit is a good deal!

Fuel costs are going to be a big deal if we don't regulate its futures soon..
Ok, Amys giving me the look, latter guys.

Kevin

BSWIFT said:
Home built/sport pilots are the only future for general aviation. Between cost and regulations, flying is becoming near impossible for most.
I grew up flying with my dad. Nearly every weekend was spent flying. I learned to fly before I learned to ride a motorcycle. Got my degree in aviation and instrumentation just before the 1990 industry collapse. As the industry began to recover, I went into another field. Have fun with the building and flying, definitely has its rewards. :cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Is the bird in the photo STOL rated? Pretty impressive!

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
kudos to you guys. i barely had the guts to ride the little invention i made down the local big hill. theres no way i would trust myself building something that would take me hundreds of feet in the air :yikes:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
On a side note, July 4th, there was a fly-in at Bartlesville's Frank Phillips Airport. They brought in about 30 WWII birds. Late in the afternoon, they flew into the Tulsa area where the fireworks were going to be shot off at the river. They flew formation and did a mock dog fight with one of the 4 remaining Japaneze Zeros. Very cool. There were also to Korean war original Sakorsky's. About a month ago, we had a B-17 flew in. You could get a ride for $450/person. Wish I had $450 to blow!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
This info is for the 701, the 750 has yet to be released, but the 801, the 4 place version of the 701 is pretty similar, so the 750 should be right in there too.

From Zenith Website: 80 HP 80 hp 100hp 100hp
single dual single dual
STALL (MPH) 28 30 28 30
RATE OF CLIMB (FPM) 1,100 1,000 1,200 1,100
TAKE-OFF ROLL (FEET) 60 115 50 90
LANDING ROLL (FEET) 80 140 80 140
CEILING 13,000+ 12,000+15,000+12,000+

Kevin

BSWIFT said:
Is the bird in the photo STOL rated? Pretty impressive!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Well the kit and or plans are designed by a guy who worked on the concord. You also can not just build and fly... the FAA has to get involved ( way better then the AMA by the way. More bureaucratic stuff, but meaningful and well intentioned if a little slow) The plans lead you though most of it and there are 3rd party videos to buy and a very good help line from the MGF. There are between 800 and 1000 of these things (CH701s)flying, so I may as well be the next... to way.... over jump the triples! :)
If you have never flown in a small airplane give it a try. It quite a hoot!

Kevin

JD_MXRacer said:
kudos to you guys. i barely had the guts to ride the little invention i made down the local big hill. theres no way i would trust myself building something that would take me hundreds of feet in the air :yikes:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Last year at Oskosh my youngest Daughter and I went for a ride in a 1938 ( I think) Ford Tri-motor. The tickets were 50 bucks each and my little girl honestly objected to the price! I asked her if she had ever ridden in an airplane almost as old as my Dad. Or how long do you think you will be able to ride in an airplane this old. Well she warmed to the idea and it was the coolest thing! Art deco interior and open windows! I recorded the whole thing on video and while I felt like a geek at the time, I will treasure that video for ever.

There were B17 ride there too but like you said $450 is a lot for a short ride when i don't have to be anyplace.

If you enjoy airplanes at all, Air venture at Oshkosh is awesome !

Kevin

BSWIFT said:
On a side note, July 4th, there was a fly-in at Bartlesville's Frank Phillips Airport. They brought in about 30 WWII birds. Late in the afternoon, they flew into the Tulsa area where the fireworks were going to be shot off at the river. They flew formation and did a mock dog fight with one of the 4 remaining Japaneze Zeros. Very cool. There were also to Korean war original Sakorsky's. About a month ago, we had a B-17 flew in. You could get a ride for $450/person. Wish I had $450 to blow!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I rode in the Trimotor in 72. My dad got to fly it from the co-pilots seat.:cool:
I spent about an hour last night watching the videos. The STOL performance is awsome. Might have to give up dirtbikes.:think:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Pretty cool about your Dad flying it!

It does kinda boggle the mind if you are at all familiar with how a standard airplane comes and goes. With the slats it only has a 5:1 glide ratio though. So I may leave them off and use vortex generators. This gives the same STOL ability's ( though extreme STOL landings would require a LOT of slip) and a 7:1 glide ratio and about 20% less fuel burn due to decreased drag. In any case it can land in a spot so the glide ratio really is a non issue. Well as long as your not over the water or a lot of big trees..... :whoa:

Kevin
This one is my favorite one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdd7ZM-O0EA

BSWIFT said:
I rode in the Trimotor in 72. My dad got to fly it from the co-pilots seat.:cool:
I spent about an hour last night watching the videos. The STOL performance is awsome. Might have to give up dirtbikes.:think:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Watch the video in the link about 1/4 of the way down, The Guy, "Gus" is a pretty big guy himself and the 701 flys him around pretty well. But he does need to practice his approaches :whoa:

http://www.flywithgus.com/page4.html

Kevin

Papakeith said:
I'm working to build a Bearhawk. But I'm slow at the building portion. I still putter, but my progress isn't stellar. I too worry about being able to afford flying the plane when I finish it. It has me looking at some different planes, but at my size there aren't many that will handle my hugeness

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I've sat in a 701 that one of my local EEA chapter members built. Granted it didn't have the bubble doors, but Dayyum it was a tight fit. Doable, but very snug.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Hi Chili,
Speaking of beer ! I'll be in Winnipeg on Monday for three days and I think its my turn to buy! Got any time spare Monday or Tuesday evening? Sorry no airplane rides yet :(

Kevin

Chili said:
Cool, once it's in the air stop by for another beer!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Monday is definitely out, I might be able to steal a bit of time Tuesday if all goes well. If you still have my cell #, give me a call Monday evening and we'll try to set something up.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I still have it, call ya Monday then.

Kevin

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Dayum, I've been on the Zenith website nearly every day! My dad(76) is interested in building one. Might just have to give up bikes for awhile.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Don't blame me, The 701 is just a little contagious !

Kevin

BSWIFT said:
Dayum, I've been on the Zenith website nearly every day! My dad(76) is interested in building one. Might just have to give up bikes for awhile.

Top Bottom