Hi new to forum. Need input>

shirl

Feb 9, 2010
Hi all.
I am new around here but have had a reasonable look around the site and like what is going on here. I am currently in the process of tidying up a 87 kdx 200 which i bought for my son. The problem is the bike became hard to start and sometimes would start and run backwards, not great if you dont realise and dump the clutch,so i decieded to pull the motor and do a bit of a freshen up.
Problem 1 - some decent scores in the bore.Can these be bored or do i have to put a sleeve in?
Problem 2 - Some idiot previously has put a different flywheel and stator on the bike with some very careful machining of the tapered end of the crank, with an angle grinder :coocoo: , must have been hell trying to get the timing right the first time as no keyway there anymore.
I can buy another crank but have to get it shipped from the states or i have access to a 85 200 complete bike but not sure how much if any is compatible?
Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
Look forward to corresponding with some of you soon.
Cheers ;)

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I think you MIGHT be ok with the 85 crank. The flywheel's on these bikes were prone to tossing the magnets off. The PO probably tried to use a flywheel from a different bike. If it runs at all you may be best trying to get the timing correct and then fit a keyway into the crank and flywheel somehow.

You may be able to use the flywheel and crank from the 85 assuming it is still good. Someone here will know.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Given the crank damage, maybe your son's bike ought to be the parts bike, and that 85 ought to be the runner. Take it from me, I restored a 95 with parts from ebay, most sourced from one guy, and I think at the end of the day most of my bike was whatever bike he was parting out... I could have saved us both a lot of grief if I just drove to Iowa and traded bikes and handed him $500. :)

For parts compatibility, you can go to the dealer web sites and "work it backwards" from the online parts catalogs. It's a headache, but it works. You need to find the part on the diagram, find the reference number on it, then find that on the price list (which will include the "real" part number, sometimes the same as the reference number, sometimes not). Do that for both years, and see if that final part number is the exact same one. Doing this saved me a bunch of money when I needed a new output shaft... 80% of the pre 95 KDX transmissions are the same as the post 95 transmissions... including the output shaft. And the pre 95 trannies are a lot cheaper.

Service Honda has a nice online parts manual, and does mail order, so you can use them and you are ready to just order if the other bike parts won't work.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I thinks it running backward due to the crankand flywheel job done by the PO you could try advancing the timing a bit lossen and turn clockwise a bit.

does the 87 have a sleeve in it (use a magnet) if so next size up piston and a bore job rb designs does great work, he is on the left coast

and welcome man great folks here

shirl

Feb 9, 2010
Thanks for the info guys, i just dont know which way i am going to go. I have also found a 88 200 for sale with 12months rego for $1500, which seems to be pretty cheap. The timing issue is a bit of a curly one as the flywheel is only about 3 inches in diameter, which as far as i can tell is a lot smaller than a standard one, and off who knows what bike with the stator to match. There is no way of locating the flywheel in any set position and no reference marks to time it off, all trial and error. I have also been told that these motors cannot be bored without recoating the bore after, dont know if this is correct, or pressing in the appropriate size new sleeve.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
The 95 and up had plated aluminum cylinders, not sleeved. Some sort of tungsten deposition or something, which does not work as well as nicisil. Once you do sleeve them though, that sleeve can be rebored.

You could probably scare up a used crank and stator bell on ebay, and maybe get a used stator there or a new stator at Ricky Stator. That'd put the bike back right again, though it would mean splitting the cases. On a bike that old and with an unknown history, splitting the cases to refresh all the seals might not be a bad idea anyway.

If the crank end still has enough of the normal stock threads, or can be turned down to be round again and retapped, you might be able to get away with just the stock stator and magnet cup.

I have a hard enough time getting the timing right when everything is right... The cast little triangle and the mark on the stator seem to lack the precision needed to be sure the timing is really dead on, and it doesn't take much error for the timing to be off. Can't imagine trying to do it by lining up the magnet cup without any kind of mechanical key.

I'd punt and just get a good crank / stator / rotor cup. If you are careful, I bet you could get all three for under $200 total. The stator will probably be the most expensive part, it is the most in demand because they fail when the cranks leak. That may be the one place where new is better then used... I got mine on ebay and later realized I could have gotten a new Ricky Stator coil for less then my used one (which is working fine).

shirl

Feb 9, 2010
Thanks Reepicheep. I have found a couple of cranks on ebay but they are all in the Us and by the time i pay the postage to AUS they are getting up around the $200 mark just for the crank. This Ricky Stator place do they have a website i can go to to check things out as if they are cheap enough that may be the way to go. The rotor cups dont seem to come up on ebay much so not sure where to find one of those. Have searched all motorcycle wreckers in AUS and no one has anything. Oh well will get there eventually.
Cheers

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Ahh... I knew the accent didn't sound local. :) And be careful, I think the KDX's you got in AUS were not only built upside down (;)), but had some fussy little electrical setup not common to other bikes. Not sure what years, but I think there were some threads here on converting them.

Ricky Stator is at: http://www.rickystator.com/, Even if they don't list parts for your bike, call them anyway, they didn't list the part for my son's KX-60, but had them in stock.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
reepicheep said:
Ahh... I knew the accent didn't sound local
Simply the name 'Shirl' says he's an Aussy. Welcome to the forum Shirl. For parts you could probably look on www.trademe.co.nz and see if the bits you need are available here in NZ. For a bit of extra coin people may be happy to send stuff to OZ.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom