Hi Newbie Here Need some advice

breadman30

Apr 16, 2003
Well to start out I have a 01 Yamaha Raptor that I very much
Love but? It is to hard to ride and handles like a tractor ... I bought
it with the intentions that it would be easier to ride than a Motorcycle .. do to a broken back recieved by caseing a berm
over a double on a 99yz125.. so I sold it and recouped for 2 yrs
My kids ride so i was starting to miss the action so when the pain went away I forgot about the hard crash and was itching for somthing, to ride that is when one of my buddys said get a atv there easier to ride me being a lifer on dirtbikes was kinda of skeptal of buying a quad ... anyway went to yama shop .. was talked out of buying a warrior and into The Raptor if anyone here has ever tried riding a raptor in the woods with your son on a xr80 it is a hard feet to acomplish .. it steers high and wants to roll over and stalls unless you abuse the clutch.. anyway after reading all of this babble yes I do have a Question I`m going to sell the raptor and and buy a Kdx 200 it seems to be a trail freindly bike and a good performer if need to be ... i just hope I want be disapointed with it. the raptor has great power in a straight line but that is all
I love the 125`s so this is what i`m comparing the 200 to. is it close to the power and powerband of the 125 , from what i have read it seems to be reliable ... is it fast? anyone here have numbers? also another concern is can the seat foam be cut down or the subframe do to me being short any tips in this area would be helpful also ... it seems to wake up very well with a pipe and silencer and jett change and the air filter change to a freerer flow filter with a few box modifacations... anyhooo if any one can help
out with some of my questions would be really cool anyway thanks in advance and great site!!!

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I'm a newbie myself but between a 125 and the KDX200 there is no comparison (IMHO). The 200 rocks, you don't have to wait for that powerband to kick in. It has plenty of power and I'm 6'2" 250lbs.
It will go as fast as I need to go. :aj:

And it's not to darn heavy to pick it back up on the trail, which is a good thing 'cuz I tend to loop it a lot lately. :yeehaw:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I'd like to say, first off, thanks for your post.
If you've got a chance, could you email ([email protected], removing nospam.) me or post here about more bad things about the raptor, for riding in the woods ;) Explanation: a friend of mine used to ride a Blaster and she keeps wishing she was back on a quad, mainly a Raptor. I agree they're damned sexy machines, but we keep telling her it's not suitable for the riding we mainly do. BTW, she spends a lot of time following her daughters (on LT80 & XR80, but the XR is soon to be replaced with something bigger).

Anywho, back to your post. Check out the post stickied to the top "FAQ" (which I haven't forgotten I'm working on and it bugs me that I haven't added anything to it lately). There is a post in there about lowering the KDX, with links to places to get longer linkages & previous posts on the subject. If you find it too heavy to start with, just run half a tank of gas (if possible), to adjust. It has a 3l reserve (think that's the right #, but a decent reserve in any case).
Hope that helps some & if you could help me with convincing my friend that two wheels is the way to go, that would be way cool. (I'm thinking the only way we can convince her is to borrow a quad for a day so she can remember what it was like - it's been two years since last riding one & the LT80 doesn't count lol).
Michelle

cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
Good luck with the 200. Excellent bike you can throw around the woods like a rag doll. If you have a vertical problem, check into getting a shorter kick lever. Supposedly (I don't know) helps the shorter folk get started. The simple mods you listed will get you some extra oomph. I'm anxiously awaiting my engine arrival with new Weisco piston and rings (didn't have time to do myself). Keep an eye on this site for some great info and varying opinions.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Well, I don't think you should be mislead into thinking that a KDX has YZ125-like power. There's not a 125 MX bike made that won't smoke a KDX in a straight line, even with a pipe. But there's some real bottom end available in comparison, as a tradeoff.

Get into the woods, it's another game altogether. But if you're looking for something to rip down the sand flats the KDX will likely not be the fastest in stock form.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Maybe on flat level ground with a petite under 250 lbs rider, but you take a 125 and a kdx200 (with 250lbs. riders on each, of course. lol) out into the steep stuff and the 125 turns into a dog real quick. IMHO :laugh:

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
The KDX200 is the best darn trail bike you can buy. I've got a 2001 and I absolutely fell in love with it! I took the air box lid off, changed jets (leaner), installed a Pro Circuit pipe/silencer, twin air filter, and a set of Carbon Tech reeds. These simple cheap mods will wake the KDX right up and ohhhh is it ever fun to ride. She just wants to keep on revving to the moon once you give it open throttle. But, be careful, because you don't want to blow it up going down the road or something. Anyways, these mods will definetly help; maybe not turn it into a 125 but I'm gonna say it could probably beat one with this setup. My bike (with all the mods) does about 69-70 mph on stock 13/47 gearing. I'd like to get the carb bored and have Eric Gorr do the 240cc big bore kit for me. But, I'm short on money! HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
1. Chances are most excellent that my wife on her warrior would leave you behind on your raptor in the woods. I'm not berating your riding. I am saying:
  • A. The warrior is a great woods machine (the denton damper helped a whole lot), and........
  • B. My wife is (well, was) a screamer on her quad.

The guy that talked you out of the warrior was a moron. He lied!

2. If a quad is at all on your list, consider a predator. They have dirtbike suspension travel..and their handling is reportedly a thing of wonder.

3. If it's actually woods you're riding in..meaning single track most of the time, not some 20' wide fire road...a 125 will work with an expert rider. If you just wanna have some fun, but with a bike that has the capability to satisy most riders not in the expert class, the 200 is perfectly suitable.

If your stuck on a 125, the kx would work better for you in the woods than the yz. That from observations of mine of those riding such bikes 'round here, and points of view of some vet riders I've talked to.

Welcome back!

Last edited:

breadman30

Apr 16, 2003
Guys and gals Thanks for the input I think I`m going to go with the kdx..
seems like what i want.. a zippy, reliable, trail freindly bike.
for the guy who was talking about the warrior they handle in the woods
but they are terrbly slow and I would not own a POS polaris no offense
but there just not relible not the ones i have seen around here anyway
I want off of the quad peirod there high manitnce and just to much trouble anyway thanks all!!!

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
23jayhawk, I don't know where you get your info from, but that is not a valid comparisson that you made. You fail to mention if there were any mods done. I personally would put my kdx200 up against any 125 and eat it up and spit it out. Also thay are two totally different bikes therefore your comparisson is invalid.....

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: invalid

Well...except for when he said....'...in stock form'.

Nothing wrong with comparing 'two totally' different anything. While there is a place for an 'apples and oranges' gripe sometimes.....the fact is those two can be compared.

One you generally peel before you eat, one you generally don't. They aren't the same color...etc etc.

re: eat it up

Glad you like your bike! ;)

re: slow warriors
Ha!;) Ever seen/heard the phrase, '5% bike, 95% rider'?

To each his own.

Enjoy your kdx!

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom