Hillbilly Classic Enduro Report (long)

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Hillbilly Classic Enduro
Clanton, Alabama
May 26, 2002

Before I get to the actual race report, let me start with a little information about the race. This was a dual sanction race, with SERA (Southern Enduro Riders Association) and SETRA (Southeastern Enduro and Trail Riders Association). With two different circuits riding, there was sure to be many more riders in each class.

Also, this was my third attempt at this race. I got a third place in both 2000 and 200l but the number of women probably wasn’t above 4 either year. Also, I have never been fortunate enough to actually finish this race. This year I planned to change that. Riding today, there were 5 SERA riders (including myself) 4 SETRA riders, and one rider that isn’t a member of either bringing the total to 10 women.

Now, to the race report! Sunday it was up at 4:15 a.m. and on the road at 4:45. I headed to Clanton and arrived in the camp about 7:20. I went to sign up and was fortunate enough to get on a row with some friends. Since I didn’t have a computer, I was glad to let them keep time for me. Unfortunately, it was on row 81!

I went up to the line about 20 minutes early so I could watch the other rows leave. While I was waiting, Suzy Moody came up and introduced herself. We talked for just a second and then she was off to work her check. Note to Suzy: I’m terrible with names and faces. If you see me, please say hello. Before long, I’ll recognize you when I see you.

It was finally time for our row to leave. As usual, I left the line last and followed the dust into the woods. It seemed the club had changed the trail some since I rode there last year. There was a reset just after 3 miles (sorry, I can’t find my roll chart to give exact miles) and then a check in to the first test section. The conditions in the woods were incredible. Sometimes there was a little dust but overall they were great. One thing that is always certain at this race, there will be plenty of hills, rocks, and roots with a few creek crossings thrown in. In this first section, (about 8 miles I think) I was really having fun. I was riding smooth and for once, everything seemed to be going well. I checked out of the section with an 84, dropping 3 minutes.

After the first section, we arrived at a reset followed by a re-start. I really liked the restart idea as it keeps anyone from going into a section early. This section was more of the same, fairly tight trails, rocks and roots and of course, hills! During this section, I was still feeling good but couldn’t keep up with the speed average. The section was 8-10 miles I guess and I checked out with a 99. It was then 7 miles free to the gas. I figured by looking at the roll chart that maybe we would be on a road or power line during the free time. Nope, it was seven miles of more of the same type trail.

Now it was time for gas, Gatorade and a granola bar. After about a 15 minute rest, it was back on the bike for yet another re-start. All the riders on our row were still going and we took off together to start the second loop. The people working the restart told us that the easy stuff was over, now it was time for the hard part. That’s not what I wanted to hear after already riding 25 or so miles in 85 degree heat. The trail hadn’t been what I would call easy! Anyway, I left the restart and that’s where it all started to fall apart. The trail wasn’t really any tighter but it was longer hills, bigger rocks and more roots. My biggest problem at this point was fatigue. I stalled the bike more and caught more trees with my bark busters. The more tired I got the worse I rode. I made it to the check out for that section and got a 94. This was the check Suzy was working and she gave me a yell and said I was doing a good job. Thanks Suzy! At that point in the race, those few words really meant a lot and gave me new determination to keep going.

I left the check and then went a mile or so to yet another restart. I was already so late, that I got there just in time to roll to the line with the guys on my row. Oh well, no rest but at least I was back on my minute. This was all new trail for me, as I had never made it that far in the past. All was going pretty well for a while. I was feeling a little energized and I felt like I was finally going to finish this race. At one point, the trail went beside a small river. It was really pretty and the temperature felt 10 degrees cooler. I came around a turn and then had to go down a hill, cross a creek and climb up the other side. There were already two bikes in the creek and they were trying to get out the other side. I had to get on the brakes so hard to stop (because the hill was steep) I let the engine die. Once they cleared the creek, I couldn’t get my bike started so I tried the roll start method. BAD MISTAKE !! It didn’t start and now I was sitting in the creek with no momentum to get up the other side, which was solid rock. First attempt, front tire got up but back tire was spinning. Second attempt, I rolled back a bit and tried again but with the same outcome. Third attempt, I got off the bike and pushed while letting the bike try to pull itself, almost made it. I swapped sides of the bike and tried again. Fourth attempt, finally make it up but the bike feel over. When I picked up the bike. I grabbed the front brake and squeezed as hard as I could, no way was I going to let it roll back into the creek. It took me a while to get the bike started after falling over, which was ok with me. I was now totally out of breath and strength. When the bike started I moved at a snails pace until I finally rolled into the check out for that section with a ll0, dropping 29. There was only one section left and then the race was over. It was only 10 to 12 miles but the speed would be bumped up to 24. I talked to the check crew and contemplated going on or quitting. The decision was made when I asked if I had to cross the creek again. They said “yes” and I said “show me the way back to camp”. My day was over.

Two days later, I’m really upset that I didn’t finish. I know if I had gotten stuck in the creek again, I probably wouldn’t have had the energy to get out a second time. I just let the fatigue and fear of getting stuck again control my decision. After all, if I got stuck, that’s what clean up riders are for, right!. I came back to camp and was surprised that none of the other women riders had made it to check 9, therefore, I won by going the furthest. I was really surprised that none of the women finished but the course was very demanding and it really took it out of you physically.

Oh yeah, one last thing. Last week, I read the outline of the riding school that Nicole posted. I tried to turn like she said but had trouble turning my hips. I guess during the race wasn’t the best time to practice that. I realized on the first down hill, that I put too much weight on my arms. I guess that’s why they always get so tired. I started shifting my weight further back and used my legs more. Like she said “use your arms just for steering”. I noticed the difference on the next hill and my arms didn’t get as tired as usual. Well until the creek incident! Thanks Nicole for the great advice and Suzy for the words of encouragement.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Neely, you write great ride reports!! I'm eating up any enduro info I can right now, getting all nervous and jittery for the Forrest Hills Enduro next weekend.

I am so excited. I wasn't nervous til someone asked me if I was getting nervous and then it just hit me that "Dang! This is a Race!!" So now I get an adrenaline rush and a pang or two of realization and the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat thing rolls through my mind when I think about it. My main goal is to just have FUN!! So why am I getting all nervous????

Well thanks for the report!! You did great and we're all proud of you!! Too bad you couldn't make it out to Oregon, all the stuff in Nicoles' Technique Outline would have made more sense to have someone RIGHT THERE to coach you and prod you into the right position.

Natalie

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
Nice report and well done neely, sorry to read you didnt finish, but it sonds like you put in a big effort anyway.
Guess there's always next year.
I always seem to get nervous before a race/event. Then i go there, have an absolute great time, and cant figure out what I got all worked up over, crazy.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Good Job Neely!! Based on what I saw at the last Enduro, you're riding very well. Keep working at it. As far as Clanton goes, it took me 3 times before I finished that event. Took me 2 trys eact at both Rockford & Maplesville before I ever finished either of those races too.

BTW, if they ran the course in the usual direction, the second creek crossing is easier than the first.

Congratulations!! :)

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
The official results were posted this morning. It looks like one girl did finish the race. That puts me in 2nd instead of 1st. Oh well, even if I had finished, she would have beat me anyway. She had a 73 for the day and I had a 63 before the last section. There is no way I could have done the 24MPH section and only dropped 10.

Top Bottom