Hitch carriers and rear spare tire carrier

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
I'm getting ready to pick up a Jeep Wrangler, which will replace my beloved 72 Blazer.  At any rate, I have one of those hitch carriers (Spectrum Industries - don't care for it though).  Any way, I had to take the rear tire carrier off on the Blazer to get it to work.  just wondering if anyone has a Jeep or other vehicle with exterior rear spare carrier and uses a hitch rack?  I'm thinking that I may need to get a custom receiver......

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
You have 2 problems to deal with:
1) The frame that the receiver hitch bolts to is not beefy enough.
2) The short wheelbase will create all kinds of handling problems with that weight hanging off the back.

You may be better off getting a small utility trailer to haul the bike.

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001

That's the 1st I've heard of a weak frame there.  I'll have to re-check, but I thought the Wrangler was rated for 3k towing with 60-65% of the weight on the front half of the trailer, providing 10% or so on the tongue (300#). 

I just hate trailers and hoped that the hitch would hold 300# (226 is what my bike weighs, with 70-80 pounds or so with carrier and straps.  I've seen a few heavy duty rear bumper set-ups that I'll have to look into also.

Hell, I wouldn't mind mounting it to the front, if view was not too bad.  I'm determined (ignorant?) enough to try one or the other.  I don't have a lift (and don't plan on one anytime soon), so I hope the handling won't be unsafe.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
The whole setup should weigh 300# or more. But the bummer is that it is hanging back there so far away from your bumper. Yes, the vertical load is the same but the lever arm is farther back to lift the front end of your jeep up. The fact that the jeep is only rated to hold a 300# tongue weight and a standard class 3 hitch is 500# tells you it is about half as stout as a regular hitch.

What the heck, give it a go. Worst case isn't too bad.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
I met a guy at a local track this evening that made an awesome hitch carrier. I don't particularly care for this method of hauling a bike, but his solution was the beefiest I've seen. He's since be asked to build several others, and also did one for a Polaris quad that weighs a gazillion pounds.

I snapped a couple of pictures; maybe I'll try and post them if anyone is interested.

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
I really don't like mineall lthat much, although it has been very useful, and it was inexpensive. (A-1 Trailers) It is just a PITA to load (Mine is a non tilting unit) I am buying an inexpensive trailer next week to replace it. The hassle there is of course you have to get the DMV involved...

I have to say the carrier served me well though, as much as I don't like loading the bike onto it. I drive a Grand cherokee (WJ) and have had no issues, but it is a long wheel base vehicle.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
I just uploaded three shots of the hitch carrier I came across last week. I've looked at several of these, and this one was, by far, the nicest I've ever seen.

You can shake the bike by the bars and the whole truck moves. It is locked on.

I have no connection to the guy who built it, and have no commercial interest in him selling more, just thought his solution was pretty trick. If you want his name, shoot me a PM.

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
I'm not that fond of my hitch carrier either (spectrum industries), but I refuse to register and store a trailer. The DMV thing is just another reason to find a way to make the carrier work.

I just toted my ride this weekend on the back end of my Suburban, and didn't notice a thing. I just hate seeing the bike rock back and forth so much. I think the rear spare will clear the motorcycle when mounted on the Jeep.

According to the manual, towing over 2,000 lbs with a Type 1 receiver is the max. They also say not to exceed 15% of trailer weight = 300lbs. Of course, they don't mention a Class 2 or 3 hitch and the 300# is pretty damn close to what the set-up would weigh (226 dry weight, add about 25 pounds for 2.6 gals of fuel and tranny oil, and ?? for aluminum carrier). I haven't weighed the carrier yet, but I can't imagine too much over 50#. With heavy duty gas shocks and stock ride height, I think it'll work. I'll do some more searching. If it doesn't work, I guess the wife will have to give up the Suburban each time I ride.

KenR, where are the pics?

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Originally posted by HomeMadeSin
Class 2 or 3 hitch and the 300# is pretty damn close to what the set-up would weigh (226 dry weight, add about 25 pounds for 2.6 gals of fuel and tranny oil, and ?? for aluminum carrier). I haven't weighed the carrier yet, but I can't imagine too much over 50#.
KenR, where are the pics?

My bike loaded down with fluids wieghs in around 230lbs (even with the tools in the backpack ) and the carrier still has the UPS stamp on it that indicated it weighed in at a whopping 66Lbs. The whole deal weighs 295Lbs roughly (giving 1/2 lb for the ratchet straps,) and believe me, hanging off the back of my WJ, it looks like a good bump would snap the frame welds on the carrier, especially when its flopping around back there, but so far so good... (knock wood)

I am very much looking forward to the little bike rail trailer. DMV or not.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Go to 'Photos', then 'DRN Member Galleries' and you should see them. If not, do a search on my name.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I have a spool piece that the great folks at MotoJack Rack made up when I ordered my carrier. It allows me to use it on my big Bronco with the external tire rack. I don't have any problems with it making the truck feel off balance but then again this is a lot more truck than a Wrangler which I could see having some issues with that much weight cantilevered off the back. I bet a local shop could fab up a spool piece for you to try out pretty cheap.

Surfrider55

Jul 25, 2003
I have a Jeep Liberty and I am using the Moto Jack carrier for Yamaha WR250. I needed to get an extension to help clear the outside mount rear tire. So far it seems to work very well. The carrier is designed to lock down on the foot pegs and you can use 1 tie-down to secure the front from swiveling on you.

Good luck

I also use the vehicle to tow a Yamaha FX cruiser jet ski and have no problems.

Top Bottom