TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
I'm sure this question is probably in the threads here previously...

Please direct me to the thread which answers this...

I'm currently taking apart a 1990 KDX 200 I just bought.

Before buying it, I looked at the JustKDX site quite a bit to get a feel for what people had to say and reliability reports, etc.

I seem to recall reading that these fine machines usually have a Keihin carb on 'em.

Interestingly enough... I noticed mine has a Mikuni carb on it. I've looked all over the outside of that carb (haven't taken that part off yet) trying to see a model designation and cannot find one.

I was just curious if anyone new which Model of Mikuni this might be so that I'd know which jets to experiment with if that need arose later-on down the line.

Thank you for your time.

-Gary

MaicoCPA

Sep 5, 2006
Can you give more infomration on the carb - ie: flat slide or round slide, etc. Most round slides are VM models. The flatslides I had on my 1990s Yamaha YZs are TM models.

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
It's a "TM" Flat-Slide

YEah.. it definitely has large markings "TM" at the top of it. Wasn't sure that was a model number.

And it does appear to be a flat-slide carb.

If memory serves me correctly... a flat-slide carb is supposed to provide more performance than a round-slide carb.... right!?

So anyhoo... now that we know it's a Mikuni TM Flat-Slide carb. I would then like to know how it should be jetted for SoCal and with an FMF (K-14 Model) exhuast on it. With the AirBox lib completely removed, and a K & N air filter.

-TheGDog
myspace dot com slash thegdizzo

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
I'm BAAAACCCKK.....

Hello People,

So... way back then I scored a KX500 and decided to give the KDX200 to my younger brother. SIGH... this year he contacts me and asks if I want it back so I say "sure".

I get it back and O-M-G. There should be some kind of criminal prosecution for people who let dirt bikes sit out in the open-air and sun for years.

Be that as it may. I'm determined to slowly bother with restoring this thing to reasonable rideable trustworthy-ness. And it's kinda cool that it's actually a CA-plated 2-Stroke.

Plus I have a young 5yo son now I'll need something more easily able to put along slowly when needed. The kx500 is not meant for that and viciously snarls to be unleashed every second it's running.

So... the younger bro tells me that they slapped the carb back together only to realize they'd misplaced the Needle Jet. As I said years ago, this is a Mikuni Flat-Slide carb which clearly had "TM" molded into the side of the slide housing.

I need to order a Needle Jet for it, but can't see where it indicates it's full model number. Would any of you happen to know which model of Mikuni TM carb was sometimes fitted onto a 1990 KDX 200?

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
TheGDog said:
Would any of you happen to know which model of Mikuni TM carb was sometimes fitted onto a 1990 KDX 200?
I don't believe Kawasaki ever used a Mikuni on the KDX200/220, but I'll check at work tomorrow and let you know for sure. (Nope, they did not.)

Last edited:

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
Thanks man... but whether or not they normally chose to use them... this particular one has a Mikuni TM Flat-Slide carb on it. There appears to be 4+ models of that carb. I need to Order a Needle Jet as my lunk-head younger brother managed to mis-place the original when he finally bothered to do anything with this bike after I gave it to him 4+ years ago.

The amount of neglect to that poor KDX was just Criminal! Daddy wants to make it all better. :ride:

K D

Oct 8, 2005
Go to the jetsrus website and look in the carb section, go to the Mikuni page and then to the TM page you will find a chart that shows how to measure your carb so you know what size you have and then you can order what you need.

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
Thank you to those you offered help. I've since acquired a Keihin PWK35 Carb off e Bay that worked flawlessly and made the bike pull much stronger than I remembered her pulling before, 5 years ago when I first bought it. CHA-CHING!!! Problem solved~!

Top Bottom