Holly Springs National Forest Closure! Take 2 Seconds!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
This letter is to address the scoping process that has evidently begun regarding the temporary closure that is being considered by the USDA Forest Service referenced in the file code above. The letter states:

Dear Interested Public:
The Holly Springs National Forest is currently conducting environmental analyses for a proposed temporary area closure to off-road vehicles in a portion of Marshall and Benton Counties. The closure would be a temporary closure and would cover the area around Chewalla
Lake. This closure would prohibit the use of licensed and non-licensed motor vehicles off county and forest development roads in the area.

SEE THE POST BELOW FOR MORE.....

At the end of the document you can add your info and send in a copy ... takes no time and isn't painful at all!

Thanks!

See the post below.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Copy, paste and email to: carenbriscoe@fs.fed.us

Caren Briscoe
USDA Forest Service
1000 Front Street
Oxford, MS 38655

Re: File Code: 1950
Dated: June 5, 2006

Ms. Briscoe:

This letter is to address the scoping process that has evidently begun regarding the temporary closure that is being considered by the USDA Forest Service referenced in the file code above. The letter states:

Dear Interested Public:

The Holly Springs National Forest is currently conducting environmental analyses for a proposed temporary area closure to off-road vehicles in a portion of Marshall and Benton Counties. The closure would be a temporary closure and would cover the area around Chewalla Lake. This closure would prohibit the use of licensed and non-licensed motor vehicles off county and forest development roads in the area.

Let me start by bringing up several points that need to be addressed. In one part of the letter, it is stated that “the use of a categorical exclusion may be appropriate.” But the opening paragraph states that the reason for the “temporary” closure is to conduct environmental analyses. This seems to be a contradictory position.

The described area has been used by the public for the last 60 years. Environmental issues have been discussed at length with the USFS. The basic problem that exists in the area, is what many have been trying to get this agency to grasp for the last twenty years.. it’s the total lack of management on the part of the USFS.

Let’s look at some of these environmental “concerns”.. Mention has been made of erosion in areas and deep rutted trails. Just about any place you wish to point out a “bad” erosion area within the forest it can be pointed out right that right next to the area of concern are naturally eroded, large ditches. The last trip I made to Holly Springs National Forest, I saw many acres of land that had literally been ripped up by bulldozers. All along the road that goes past Bethany Church. Is this the USFS doing this? It is well known that the USFS conducts logging and benefits from the sale of the lumber. Where do these funds go?

Let’s discuss some other environmental issues.. It has come to my attention that several Park Rangers ago there was an oral agreement to build these trails for use as fire stops used in the controlled burning of the underbrush that takes place every few years there. Once such burn was conducted last year. It seems these trails serve another good purpose.

The Memphis Motorcycle Club has tried for years to get the USFS to put in place a plan to manage these resources that we, as citizens of this country, have a right to use. Many restrictions have been placed on off road enthusiasts, without as much as a simple opportunity to present out side. This current action is a fairly good example.. This letter was dated June 5, 2006 and “comments must be postmarked or received by June 23, 2006. Holy cow... we’ve been granted almost three weeks to gather a response. It’s these kind of things that really get to me.

It seems from the letter, that the USFS wishes to “temporarily” remove the off road vehicles from this area for a period of time to allow the area to begin to recover. That’s the USFS’s suggestion. Close it, forget it and it’ll fix itself.. What’s the period of time that is estimated for the miracle recovery? What plan does the USFS have in place for an alternative site to replace this one? The riding public is growing and it is the duty of federally funded agencies such as the USDA/FS to provide that tax base with recreational areas. We see no mention of alternative areas or plans. This is just not acceptable.

We, the public, know that what the area needs is management. There are (thankfully) USFS facilities that prove that off road areas that are managed seem to strive. Areas such as Desoto National Forest and Ozark-St. Francis National Forest are proof of this. It’s your belief that off road vehicles are the culprit. They are not. It’s the unmanaged use of the area that ruins it.

Many people, especially members of the Memphis Motorcycle Club, have met and/or ridden at the forest over the last two years that have spent many hours cleaning the parking areas, repairing trails, building crossings so as to not disturb creeks. The club had, at one time, had an agreement with the USFS to GPS position and mark all of the existing trails so that they may be managed. About 10-20 members of the club spent approximately three months of mapping and placing markers on these the areas. GPS data was transferred to the USFS. Now, nobody at the USFS knows anything about that. We have done everything we were asked to do. You have done nothing.

Frankly, in the public sector, anyone who has done as poor a job of managing anything as has been done in this particular area for the last 10 - 20 years, would have been fired a long time ago. It has come to this. We think the job that has been done up until now has been pitiful. We do not wish this (or any other area of its type) to be closed for anything but a speedy, well-developed plan to properly manage it so that we and our children have these areas to enjoy for years to come. This is the recreation we enjoy. This is the recreation we chose.

We vehemently oppose the closing of the area without the opening of another area. We strongly request that the plan to properly manage the area, like any other recreation area within the USFS parks, to be implemented in a very short order and everyone involved go back to enjoying life. That is what we are all her for.

Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
email address:
PLease add my name and/or email so I can be included in future mailings..

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I got a response. Probably a auto responder, but there are phone numbers.

I got your comments - Thanks

Caren Briscoe
Resources Program Manager
Holly Springs National Forest
National Forests in Mississippi
1000 Front Street
Oxford, MS 38655
Voice: 662-236-6550 ext 241 Fax: 662-234-8318

mhardee

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 17, 2002
I've added another contact to this deal. I admit, I was kinda pissed when I wrote the other letter - feel free to change the Word file.

Below is a message from one of our members with a possible more important contact... I plan on writing him a much nicer letter, but letting him know how inept I think the current staff at HSNF is..

And here's yet another link to review
(http://fs.fed.us/news/2005/releases/11/travel-management.shtml).

Forrest Service Chief Dale Bosworth should be added to your list of contacts. I'm sorry I don't have a direct link to him but you should be able to send a letter to his attention at the U.S. Department of Agriculture - Forest Service.

Dale seems to understand the need for OHV use in the US Forest areas. He speaks directly to the point of the expectation of Rangers managing the area which include the trails.

Here's a quote from Dale.... "Land managers will use the new rule to continue to work with motorized sports enthusiasts, consrevationists, state and local officials and others to provide responsible motorized recreational experiences in national forest and grasslands for the long run.".

Thanks for ANYBODY that takes 5 minutes to compose a letter - it will happen in your area as well one of these days unless we quit talking and start doing...

Mark

ziptiedEXC

Apr 5, 2006
I don't know why the four wheelers were not mentioned, but I think they are the main problem at Holly Springs. The ATV's keep getting biger and biger, and their after market tires are geting biger and more agressive. I know bikes do some damage when we go through the creeks, but the ATV's go back and forth until they get stuck, on purpose, and then it's time for a beer or two. All they do is dig deep mud holes and leave a lot of trash.

I know all ATV drivers do not act like this, but the majority do.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom