KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
As an alternative, you might want to send your brakes to TRM racing. He told me that the stock kawasaki stuff is actually pretty good, and with some simple mods that he can do, they are the best brakes in the biz. We will see, the price is a bit over 100 with pads and all parts, so I will give you a report when they come back.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Does anyone make stainless rear brake lines, mines not bad but I think it would be tight if there was a length of stainless line running on top of the swingarm, maybe even some anodized blue fittings...sweet!!

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
MX-727,
Is the feel on the KX improved after the mod? I agree with your weekly KX bleed assessment! :ugg: I'd like to get the same feel on my ’01 KX that I have on my '99 CR.

Thanks,
Scott

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
I think I'll give it a try. Worst case, I shouldn't have to bleed as often. My brakes that is. :confused:

Thanks,
Scott

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
I have a question. Do you think there is a way to use the bottom brake line clamp on a yz and somehow put it up were the plastics holders are so i can make the line cr style? If you dont get what i mean i can try to elaborate more..Just let me know.
Marc

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
That was the first thing I did. Basically, you can install the lower clamp up on the guard just like Ride Engineering shows their clamp. Use screws with counter sunk heads and put the head on the inside of the fork guard so that you don't scratch the fork tubes with the end of the bolt.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Thanks Mx-727. This seems logical to me rather than spending $$ on other products. Why not use the stock clamp on the yz..Cool thanks for the help

MX145

Dec 29, 2001
marcv125
Be sure to mount the open side pointing outwards away from the center of the bike. If you mount the opening of the clamp pointing inward..... it will hit your fender when the suspension goes through its full stroke. Your fender will then get turned into hamburger. You won't want that unless your hungry!

:scream:

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Alright MX145 thanks i will be sure to do that.

The funniest thing happened to me today. I am a fairly new begginer (1 year) and i am still trying to get comfortable with my bike. Which means i am trying to use BOTH the front and back brake. I have only been using the back brake. Well today i dont knoe what happened but i actually used both brakes equally. It definetly made me a faster rider by using both brakes, and actually my front brake actually feels like it has a positive feel to it..Amazing it isn't even mushy. I am still going to use the "honda style" brake route though just for more power and an even better feel.
Thanks again MX145
Marc

moto bird

Feb 25, 2002
The stock clamp doesn't work very well because of its wavey shape. Why would you skimp on your front brake? If the line gets caught up in something two things can happen-a quick trip over the bars or the loss of your front brake! not sure which is worse, but I wouldn't like to try either. Buy the clamp and read the instructions carefully. Do the installation right the first time and you will be doing stopies like Kevin Windham (before broken leg of coarse).

MX145

Dec 29, 2001
If you use the stock clamp, you must grind down one side to be flat against your fork tube guard. You won't be able to secure the line properly without first doing that. Once you have the rib ground off it will lay flat against the plastic and work just the same as the aftermarket ones. There will be "NO" difference in them at all. Even the DSP rivet on guide requires the grinding of your stock pinch clamps on one side. If you don't have the time/patience, ingenuity or tools to do it right, then I would suggest buying one of the "other" aftermarket mfg. bolt-on clamps. There is also another way that I have ran the CR style routing without any clamps and works well. I have spent some time trying different methods and have found the DSP guide and my way without any clamps to work the best. Just using your stock clamp bolted to the fork tube guard didn't work the best for ME, but will work if that is what YOU want to do.

:)

TooTall

Nov 6, 2000
I used the stock clamp with the Fastline hose on my '98 YZ250. I removed the 2 hose guides on the fork guard and enlarged the top opening for the clamp. Drilled 2 holes and used a couple of small metric bolts/washers/nuts and it was done. This setup has lasted over 2 seasons with absolutely no trouble. The only investment required is the bolts, washers, nuts and a little time. Nice setup.

TT

Top Bottom