SS109

Jul 27, 2009
I still have the little '79 Honda XL75 and I'm looking for a cheap way to bump up the suspension a bit. My daughter bottoms out the suspension often so it needs a little more travel and the height would be another plus.

I have already figured on moving the shocks to the XR75/80 position on the swingarm and "laying them down".

So, does anyone know if an XR75/XR80/XR100 (up to 1984) swingarm will bolt on in place of the stock XL swingarm? Also, are the XR80 forks longer than the XL75 forks or should I get some XL100 forks?

Any other "on the cheap" suspension mods I can do to this little bike? I have no illusions of this bike ever being raced or even jumped. Hell, my daughter will probably out grow it in a year so I don't want to sink a lot of cash in a 30 year old mini. I know there use to be a lot of guys into these bikes so I'm hoping one of you can help me out here with some knowledge.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Take off the forks, open them up, drain the oil and then fill the oil to the proper level in the manual. If you still have problems, then add 10cc to each fork leg until you find an acceptable level.

The suspension on that bike will never be great. Just leave it alone until you get another bike. You would be just wasting time/money there.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Put spacers in the fork, the material and size is up to you, some use PVC, some use sockets I would use a piece of steel bar stock. The rear is another issue, depends on how handy you are with a welder and how comfortable you are having your little girl ride on a daddy modded suspension. If you want to see which if any XR swingarm fits I'd start with looking at part numbers for the pivot bolt. Basically if it's the same PN it fits, if not, maybe not.

Top Bottom