hop up's for a 1986 kdx 200

sas66

Oct 22, 2001
I was wondering what you people out there are doing to get a little more out of their kdx's. We have alrady put Boyesen reeds in it along with a DG streight through silincer on it. I would just like to add as many relitively cheep hop ups to the 1987 kdx 200 as I can. Also does any one know which year kx rear fender would be the easiest to modify to put on the 87 kdx 200????????:scream: :scream:

sas66

Oct 22, 2001
kdx 200 mods 1986

I am a little slow today my bike is a 1986 kdx200 and i am looking to hop it up and i need a kx fender type that will fit 1986 kdx 200 not a 1987.sorry:p

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
I had an '88 model, which was very similar to the '86.
best hopups in my opinion are boysen reeds, go one size smaller on the main jet, after-market pipe and silencer. Of course, if you're prepared to spend money you could go for some port work too.

You may have trouble getting an after-market pipe for the old girl; I never managed to find one here in australia but you may have more luck over your way.

After all that, your biggest hurdle may be stopping, and I eventually ditched mine in favour of one with a rear disk brake.

As far as a rear fender goes, I reckon you'll have to be prepared to do some cutting and drilling. Can't help you with a MX bike compatability, but I had a UFO fender on mine which, while not looking quite as cool as a MX one, still looked better than the stocker...

cheers

Last edited:

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
silencer

i've just completed a frame-up restoration of an 87 200. need to battle some carburetor gremlins. the float-bown needle wasn't seating, so polished the float/lever contact surfaces (they were galled), and lapped the needle & seat. hope that'll do the job. in the worst case..., i'll need to purchase a new needle & seat (still available from kawi dealers).

anyway..., that's beside the point, eh?

i don't think you'll have much trouble finding a pipe. when i bought this basket case..., it had an almost new FMF pipe. the trouble was finding a decent silencer. the old boat anchor was missing it's exhaust tip and i wasn't excited about keeping that worthless hunk of steel in service anyway.

i was able to pick up a used FMF Power Core II, for a 98 KX250. i cut the stinger off it, about 2 1/2 inches from the silencer. then cut about 2 1/2 inches off the other end of the stinger.

the short stinger end fits between the stub left on the silencer, and the pipe. with a little cut-&-fit, the silencer's aft mounting tab will line up with the aft threaded silencer mounting hole on the bike's sub-frame.

use one of the rubber grommets from the stock silencer for the new silencer's mounting tab.

fits nice & tight, with just enough clearance all round.

Top Bottom