AABatteries

Aug 4, 2009
My dad is finally starting to take interest in getting a bike for me and my brother. He used to race when he was young, so he knows what he is doing. Just wanted to see you guys' opinions.

1) your physical size 5' 10' ~120lb
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Depends on the situation. I'd say on a scale of 1-10, 6.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? I'd ride anywhere I'd get a chance. That would usually be in woods or fields with friends. Probably would go out on a track every so often if I didn't race.
4) Do you have any riding experience? I've rode a few 50's. A moped. And my friends Kawasaki Bayou 220. Never used a clutch, but I know I'll have to get used to one.
5) Do you think you will race ? I would like to, don't know if my parents would let me though.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Slightly, more than all or most of my friends, except for the one who races.
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? I like Kawasaki, but I'll take anything I can get. I think a 125 would be a good choice, would last me a couple years till I would be ready to move up to a 250.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Dealers are everywhere here, all common brands available. I'm looking on Craigslist for used though.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? I myself, not more than a couple hundred. My parents would be willing to pay up to about $2000, plus what I chip in.
10) Do you live in California? Nope.
11) Your age? 14
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I've done BMX racing for 3 years. Don't do it any more though. I go to BMX trails once a month or so. I'm used to jumping, know how you have to land. I know dirt bikes are whole different ball game, but riding BMX has to have some advantage over someone who hasn't.

Wide variety of bikes available around here. My dad says that if a bike is older than 5 or 6 years, than it isn't worth buying if you plan on racing. That being said, there are still a decent amount a of newer 125's from honda, suzuki, kawasaki, and yamaha around here. All of which are under $2500. So, I'm open to a wide variety.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
To be a serious competitor you would want to have a newer bike. Until your riding skills are at a serious level, however, the model year of the bike isn't going to matter. The type of bike (MX vs "off road") and overall condition will be, but that doesn't necessarily track the age. I have seen a lot of 10 year old bikes that are in perfect condition and two year old bikes that are just thrashed.

How old and what size is your bother? Is the idea that you would get one bike and share it, or two bikes so you can ride together? Is your dad going to get a bike and ride with you?

I think that your idea is spot on: a 125 for a few years. You should be able to pick up a real good bike for under $2000.

Rod

AABatteries

Aug 4, 2009
Probably would get and 80 or 85 for my brother. Then a 125 for my dad and I to share, and mom if she would ever want to ride it.

As you said, about the year and condition. I know that can be true. But, not around here most of those older bikes have been raced and beat up pretty good, making them more likely to have to have the engine rebuilt. Lots of stuff 01-04 around here. There are a few 07 bikes for a really good prices too. We're probably gonna wait till winter or early spring to buy though.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
AABatteries said:
Probably would get and 80 or 85 for my brother. Then a 125 for my dad and I to share, and mom if she would ever want to ride it.

As you said, about the year and condition. I know that can be true. But, not around here most of those older bikes have been raced and beat up pretty good, making them more likely to have to have the engine rebuilt. Lots of stuff 01-04 around here. There are a few 07 bikes for a really good prices too. We're probably gonna wait till winter or early spring to buy though.

good luck, and make sure to do your maintaince :cool:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
AABatteries said:
But, not around here most of those older bikes have been raced and beat up pretty good, making them more likely to have to have the engine rebuilt.

On a MX/race bike, top end rebuilds are part of the regular maintenance stuff. The owner's manual is likely to specify that the piston be replaced every 20 to 30 hours, so a bike that gets ridden a few hours a week will need top end rebuilds once or twice a year.

If the top end is rebuilt as a preventative measure it is easy and not very expensive. If you let it go until it fails then it can be very expensive.

Buying a bike that has had a recent top end rebuild is actually a good thing. It means that the bike is being maintained. Buying a bike that has never had a top end rebuild could be a risk as it is probably way overdue and is running on borrowed time.

Rod

Top Bottom