timmmy

Apr 27, 2007
First a little background about the bike. 97 cr 125 purchased used about 2 years ago, history unknown.

Last summer I was in a hurry to beat a bad storm back to the cabin and was flying down a road on the way back to my cabin. I was running the bike hard and all of the sudden it seemed to sieze. The rear tire starting skidding and I grabbed the clutch and started rolling just fine. After I slowed a bit I let the clutch out to see if I could get it running again. It started back up without a problem and had plenty of power on the rest of the way back. Since then I have pretty consistent problems getting the bike to start while hot. I am able to push start it when it is having these fits but I can't kick start it to save my life/leg. I checked the compression today and it was pretty good at about 170. However when I was checking it I was not holding the throttle open as I have heard suggested(I forgot). The bike has great power, gets good gas mileage compared to my rm 125 and starts on the first kick when cold.

I was thinking top end rebuild but with the compression as high as it is I am second guessing myself.

Anyone have any ideas as to what to look at or do?

I have a big trip coming up and it is one that requires lots of stopping and restarting.

Thanks in advance for any help.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
It sure sounds like you siezed the engine last summer. You may have been really lucky in that it "unsiezed" and continued running but I would highly recommend that you do a top end on the bike.

As for the compression test a two stroke will show the same compression with the throttle open or closed. The exhaust port is wide open for a lot longer than the intake port so at kicking RPMs the cylinder will have a full load of something to compress.

Rod

timmmy

Apr 27, 2007
OK in case anyone is going to check this or for future refernce in case someone else comes across this thread. New reeds elimanted the hot start issue. However I did not follow directions and ran rich during my recent rides because the new reeds created a rich condition.

KDX'r

Dec 10, 2005
Thanks, this worked for me and I have been looking through threads for 2 weeks with no luck until I stumbled onto your advice...much apppreciated :laugh:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Exactly why it is great when a guy solves the problem and comes back to finish the thread. All to often they get their answer and then disappear into the dark and never let anyone know for future referance.
Glad a year old thread helped you

timmmy

Apr 27, 2007
oldguy said:
Exactly why it is great when a guy solves the problem and comes back to finish the thread. All to often they get their answer and then disappear into the dark and never let anyone know for future referance.
Glad a year old thread helped you

I try to update threads when I get solutions. I get so tired of reading about people who have the exact same problem that never bother to give an answer.

In case anyone reads this and cares, I am still running the same top end that siezed up on me in the story above. This goes against conventional wisdom but it is true. I also still have great compression. I think what saved me is that I kept the piston from sticking by using the bike to get the piston moving again right away. I think if I would have let it sit I would have been screwed.

I use amsoil for mixing and nothing but 50:1 with premium goes in to that bike.

Another new update to an old thread.

Top Bottom