How badly can the reed affect the start?

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
I recently removed the reeds from the case for some cleaning purpose (ok, maybe I shouldn't), and I have noticed that they are not PERFECTLY matching with the case. In the same time, I am experiencing some difficulties to start the bike.

Could be just a psicology thing, or those thiny little rooms between the reeds and the case really messed with the slow-flow jetting? After started (uf... dozens of kicks), the bike runs ok... :silly:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Is it always a dozen kicks or when you ride, stop, then start again, it kicks over fine? Plug problem maybe, or jetting. What do you mean when you say they don't match the case?

grass-digger

Oct 21, 2001
my cr has that problem but it doesent start at all with the kickstart but it starts right up with a push it just started happening lately and my reeds are not touching the reed blovk anymore and i have good compretion i put the top end in this morning and just wont fireup unless you jump start it down a hill i am gonna order reeds tomorow we"ll see how that goes i will keep you posted

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
If there are gaps or chips in the reeds the compression will suck fuel mix into the cylender causing a foul. Hence the "dozens of kicks". If the bike is tuned correctly the "kick" will suck just enough mix through the reeds to hear that familiar thrum while kicking to roll on the throttle to light her off. If your reeds are clear: replace if burnt(Like paper you can tell due to the darkened area) chipped or cracked. If dark like Boyseen: replace by shining a flashlight through the cage and looking for light. Damaged reeds can cause all sorts of problems starting. I changed mine when I got tired of pulling or looking for a good hill to roll start. What a differance! 1st or second kick when cold!

My .02

Phillip

P.S. Talk to or PM Eric Gorr or Rich about this. I am a newbie to 2 strokes but the reeds act as valves like in a 4 stroke. Suck on the intake(Open) Closed on the Exaust.

Last edited:

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Dito on what Irish just stated. Eric Gorr told me about the same thing. Now i pay much closer attention to the condition of my reeds and change them when the look warped. Eric did say that you could "rotate" your reeds to get more life out of them by switching them one for the other (top for bottom) not by flipping them around (same location just flipped).

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
If the reeds are not sealing properly, the fuel/air charge that just went into the crank/cylinder will get blown back into the carb instead of going into the combustion chamber. It is more of a problem at low speeds (like when starting the engine) and can affect low end power.

These guys are right. Keep an eye on your reeds for optimum power.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom