How can I make '01CR250 forks more plush

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
I use my bike for trail riding, and find the forks to be too harsh. What can be done to make the forks more plush?

1. Change springs? I'm 185 lb, moderate trail rider (too fat to fly)
2. Change Oil?
3. Full Revalve? I'd like to avoid this for obvious reasons $$$$.
4. Other?????

Thanks for the help.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Neil,
Check out your overall setup. (This is completely free)! Reduce compressiion you could go lighter on springs, but to realy make a difference you will need a revalve. See what you can do first!
Regards,
Jer

robmann

Dec 30, 2000
Neil Wig,
The stock springs are a little stiff for the woods put in a set of .42 make sure you have 5mm of preload and add 375cc of oil. the rear should be fine so bike will still be balanced. Then start to play with the clickers to see if you can get the ride you are looking for, If you do not find it you will have to go for a revalve this will definitely take care of the harshness you are feeling. The valving is just not set up for woods.

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
Thanks for the replies

Thanks guys, that's kinda what I thought. I'll live with it for the rest of this season, then send the forks south for a revalve.
Rob, when you say add 375cc of oil, do you mean 375cc to each fork?
Jeremy, do you have any opinion about this idea? Also, what is the typical shipping cost to courier the forks across the Canada/US border, and when is your slow season?

Later

Jimmy!

Jan 7, 2001
Also, just changing tihe oil for fresh can make a huge difference(did on mine anyway), especially if it's still got the factory oil in place.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Neil,
I have no issues with Robs advice. Don't bother trying to get stuff across the boarder, it is a real drag. Find a reputable, fulltime, suspension shop. Ask lots of hard questions and you should get good results if they can answer them.
Regards,
Jer

There is nothing wrong with the stock oil, other than it may be worn out.. How much time do you have on it.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Neil, try www.cycleimprovements.com

They are an MX-Tech (Jer's) associate in Canada. Jer's too consciensiuos to give you a name himself ;)

You may also want to check with ProTech suspension here in Canada. They seem to be a significant force on the Canadian Nationals circuit and, from my experience with the local guy in my area, give good service.

ProTech is a little less expensive, but use stock pistons (usually). Jer's are likely a little more advance technology.

Good luck,

Joe

Last edited:

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
Not all the cr,s problems are in the front end. The rear shock valving is also out to lunch and tends to fade really bad in long motos. I sent my whole kit to Mx-Tech in March for revalve and oil locks. It is a huge improvement over stock.
01cr250

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
Go for the revalve! Compared to a bud's 01 totally stock suspended CR250, my woods revalved RM250 works much better. I think the CR would be a fine machine with the same action suspenders as what I have. You may also consider a Steahly flywheel weight as well.

Also, having done some business with a shop in W-peg, I will STRONGLY agree with the statement that it is a horrible hassle to ship stuff accross the border. You can haul most anything back and forth, but put it in a box and send it, and the hassle & expense begins.

Top Bottom