How can I tell if my clutch is bad?

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I was at a race Sunday and apparently, a crank seal went bad, sucked up all my tranny oil and my clutch started slipping bad on my last two miles. I had no play in the lever when I finished the race. After it all cooled down, the play was back. I have the motor pulled out of the bike to go to the shop tomorrow to have the seals replaced. I took the clutch apart tonight and looked at it. It smells burned, but the plates look okay to me. All of the pads are still there. No broken friction plates or anything. How can I tell if it's bad or not? Should I order new clutch plates? I need to know ASAP as I am trying to get my bike ready for a race THIS weekend! Thanks! Matt

crazyrydermx

Feb 4, 2006
Usually you know a clutch is bad when it slips like crazy no matter how much you adjust it. I would suggest getting a new clutch, because they may have looked ok to you but the smallest amount of damage changes everything when they get hotter.

B

biglou

Check the plate's for thickness with a micrometer, flatness, and glazing. If they're out of spec or not right, replace them. If you were way low on oil, I suspect they would have overheated and messed with the adjustment. That won't necessarily mean the plates are shot, though.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom