How can you get a really good start off the gate

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Here is my method. It has earned me every holeshot in every race I have entered since I have started using it.
1)Sit as far foward as possible on tank
2)put feet IN FRONT OF PEGS AND DO NOT PUT ON PEGS FOR START!
3)Look right at the gate
4)start in 1st for 80's, 2nd for all others.
5)overgrip the throttle and rev bike up to 1/4-1/2 throttle.
6)grab front brake hard.
7)let clutch out to the point where it is grabby.
8)watch carefully for gate mechanism to move.
9)on first sight of movement, feed the clutch and brake out while simutaneously opening the throttle
10)once clear of gate, give MORE GAS and keep feeding out the clutch to minimize wheelspin.
11)DO NOT PUT FEET ON PEGS AND KEEP THEM INFRONT OF THE PEGS!!!! I can't stress this enough, this is the secret.
12)When ready to shift, use the HEEL of your boot and shift without using the clutch or letting off the throttle. This step is also very important. You feet should stay infront of the pegs.
13)Once ready to brake for first turn, do as normal.

This is a fairly complicated technique, but works wonders if you are good at it and you practice it ALOT. It must be folowed to a "T" to work right though. Hope this is what you are looking for.

------------------
Aaron's web site

[This message has been edited by KawieKX125 (edited 03-27-2001).]

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Kawie - yeah - that sounds kinda crazy... I always start with my left foot on the peg (and have got quite a few holeshots) but you're right. If you watch RC or MC - their legs are on the shrouds (not near the pegs) until about 30-40 feet before the first corner. I need to try practicing some starts this way (you don't use the clutch when you shift, huh???)

------------------
'01 YZ 125 - #32
2000 D17 Women's Motocross Champion
Sponsors: DGY, MX-Tech, Bell, Smith, Works Connection, Boyesen, Twin Air, SoCal/DeCal Works, Morris Trailer Sales, and Skyway Trucking

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Aaron’s right. I read a while ago where some of the pros were testing a boot that had a protrusion off the left heel to catch the shifter on starts.

The only other advice I can give is to practice on your reflexes. A split second delay on the start can make the difference between a holeshot and middle of the pack.

------------------
Did I do the double?
Ah,um...Sure did. I was right behind you!
My Pictures

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Tech 6's and 8's have the protrusion but any boot will work. As for the shifting issue, if the bike shifts withut the clutch, for maximum drive, it should not be pulled in alot on the start. When your left foot is on the peg, the bike tends to swerve to the left, requiring correction and creating a loss in foward momentum. If the feet are infront of the pegs, you go very straight, keep the front wheel down and get good traction. Honestly, after utilizing this method, my starts have been so good that I have holeshot all the races I have used it in.

------------------
Aaron's web site

S

Saratoga

I do most of what Kawie does with very good success. My feet are in front of the pegs but behind the shifter so I shift into 3rd as I lift my feet up.

I will add another key point which is to leave the throttle pinned. You modulate the clutch to keep the front end down not the throttle.

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
One thing to remember, is that... the time you leave your feet off of the pegs, is very directly related to the length of the start. The reason that MC, and, RC keep their feet down almost into the corner is because, on a supercross track, the start is pretty short. Any body out there seen terriferma 6? the part where Travis Pastrana is racing Loretta Lynn's, is a perfect example, you can see him shifting. because the start at hurricane mills in fairly long.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by roostinbe:
One thing to remember, is that... the time you leave your feet off of the pegs, is very directly related to the length of the start. The reason that MC, and, RC keep their feet down almost into the corner is because, on a supercross track, the start is pretty short. Any body out there seen terriferma 6? the part where Travis Pastrana is racing Loretta Lynn's, is a perfect example, you can see him shifting. because the start at hurricane mills in fairly long.

that's a perfect explination on starting,and even though leaving your feet forward sounds a bit odd it keeps more weight on the front end of the bike to help keep it down when your trying to eccelerate as fast as possible.How long you keep them there definently depends on gearing,traction,start straight,and if the bike is stablized!When you stare at the gate,always look at the triggering mechanism on the gate to your left or right,which ever you prefer.

MXRacer9

Aug 19, 2000
you may call this cheating but you have to admit, its creative!. instead of watching the gate, i watch the pin on the left side of the gate that makes it fall. o ya, i ride an 80 and i start in 2nd gear...it works a lot better than 1st.

MXRacer9

mxer_69

Dec 14, 2000
I do a few things, even before I get to the line. I usaully watch the motos before mine and count how many seconds in my head til the gate falls after the 5 second signal. If i'm lucky there will be a pattern and i will have that much more of an advantage when i get to the gate. Also i watch the shack where the guy is releasing the gate. If i can see his arms move or legs to release the pin. Then i try to get close to the shack but still picking a goog line. I look weird sometimes cause the 5 sec signal goes and everyone is looking down and i'm looking over to the shack. It works though.
As for when i'm off the line, I try to bring my feet up fairly quick. I start in second on my YZ 250F and hold it pinned. I sit on the back fender to grab as much traction as possible. Practice braking later and harder so you can get those extra postions, it pays off.

Top Bottom