jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
How do I pay for my hobby?
Pimpin' ain't easy...

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

I completely forgot about this job, but in high school I ran a museum for the summer to get some extra money for dirtbiking. That job was boring, but it payed for a few good toys. Since I've moved out and been at school I've detailed vehicles, worked in a clothing store, and now have a promising interview at a bike dealership, but unfortunately now the money goes to tuition not bikes :'(

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Okiewan said:
traded the "Quad" for a beat-up but running '72 KE-100. The bike was only 2 years old at the time :yikes:

So perhaps we should begin calling you Oldiewan? :rotfl: I kill me...

There is a creepy guy named Bob (not you Okie) that lives in the woods by the powerlines. He has a "junkyard" on his property. Papakeith discovered a 1986 XR200 in said "junkyard" and put it together with the hopes of my mama riding it. When she ran her own leg over she gave up dirtbikes and I inherited the bike. I rode it up until I moved to Iowa in 2004. Then I stole Rooster's WR250 for a year. Then when we moved back to Rhode Island I financed a 2005 TTR125.

That's my bike story!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I had some weird little odd jobs growing up. I picked peas for $2/crate. I convinced the high school FFA advisor to let me use the green house over the summer to grow ground cover, then sold it for $6/flat. I had all the equipment i needed (Greenhouse, dirt, water, cuttings, growth hormone, flats, dirt sterilizer) The deal was I gave the FFA organization 25% of my earnings. Sweet deal! I also worked in a deli (but got kinda fired for giving away sammiches to all my friends...), I worked at a roadside vegetable stand 10 hours a day on the weekends. Then the real moneymaker was working for the California State Parks System selling campsites and day use passes. That job was very cool. Beach, Sun, Hot guys driving right up to you giving you money....ahhh.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
GETMETOCA said:
. . . I convinced the high school FFA advisor to let me use the green house over the summer to grow ground cover . . .
hmmm . . . ground cover? Is that what the kids called it those days?

and I'd buy a campsite from ye.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
When I was 11-14 I babysat the rich neighbors bratty daughter. They usually stayed out until about 5 in the morning and would get pretty drunk. When they got home I would get paid about $100-$200 to baby sit for about 8-9hrs. Almost all of it being at night. I made out pretty good with that deal. I don't think they realized they were handing me $50s and $100s. So I was able to buy some nice stuff with their money.

My Dad co-signed for my first bike. I was working at the roller rink at 14. That paid for my race fees, gas for the bike and my truck. At 16 I started working at Wal-Mart and stayed there for almost 8yrs. Working there I was able to save up to buy my street bike, dirt bike and my truck.

Mx523

Mar 3, 2007
I am a bus boy, :cool: Saved up from working 30 hour weekends during the school and working 6 days a week during the summer and brought myself a nice truck and my Yz125.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I painted houses in the summer. And worked at my brothers insurance agency in the winter ( people were kinda taken back when a 15 year old quotes their auto insurance to them :laugh: )
I also worked at a cheese factory for a bit ( Wisconsin after all) but I decided that ice fishing was a way better way to spend a particular Saturday ;) .

Last edited:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
XRpredator said:
hmmm . . . ground cover? Is that what the kids called it those days?

and I'd buy a campsite from ye.

Pred, you would buy anything from a hot chick ... wait a minute, that reminds me of a story ...

[Harp chords] This one time, at DirtWeek, there was this brunette hottie running around selling Cooperland T-shirts ... oh yeah, I remember, it well ... anyway, I bought a shirt from her, and stowed it away in my gear bag.

[More harp chords] Sometime later, we were sitting around a fire pit.

Someone says " there's that hottie with those Cooperland shirts "

I say " oooh, I need to buy one of those "

My buddy says " dude you just bought one "

I say " man, I would buy a coffee can of flaming dog poo from her! "

I believe it was either MrLuckey or BigLou that shoots me a look like :ohmy:

I smiled and said " she's standing right behind me, isn't she? "

I got the :nod: " yes, yes she is "

She didn't have any coffee cans of flaming dog poo, but I did buy another shirt :boss:

[Harp chord]

Anyway, back to buying toys!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
LOL!!! The best part was buying shirts from her, while she was standing in the back of the pick-up ... :p Scooter caught me making her "reach" to take my money :) You know those smacks on the back of the head that you don't see coming?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Yeah, I got a few dents in my skull from moments like that :whoa:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
My first bike was the same as Okie's, only it was a '75 model and 9 years-old when I got it for free. There's no such thing as a free bike. It was my only mode of transportation during my freshman year of college.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
CaNaDiAn said:
I completely forgot about this job, but in high school I ran a museum for the summer to get some extra money for dirtbiking. That job was boring, but it payed for a few good toys. Since I've moved out and been at school I've detailed vehicles, worked in a clothing store, and now have a promising interview at a bike dealership, but unfortunately now the money goes to tuition not bikes :'(

There is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm finished in two weeks (well, actually, a little less than that). Now instead of putting money towards tuition, I get to put it towards student loans! :bang: Well, and maybe racing, Six Days and hopefully a new bike next year. But only because I got an education in the first place.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I would babysit til 2-3 in the morning on Friday nights for some neighbors, then get up and be to work at about 8am on Saturdays to wash Budweiser trucks all day :) Then during the summer I would work 40-50 hours a week at the Bud distributor cleaning the yard, trucks, painting curbs etc.. The best part was when I would sort damaged product from the drivers, the cans they couldn't sell would end up with me :p Life was simple back then, got paid with beer and money :) :laugh:

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

SpeedyManiac said:
There is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm finished in two weeks (well, actually, a little less than that). Now instead of putting money towards tuition, I get to put it towards student loans! :bang: Well, and maybe racing, Six Days and hopefully a new bike next year. But only because I got an education in the first place.

True enough! So you are graduating this year? Congratulations. I'll just have to be happy with summer holidays in two weeks....good enough for me. I actually don't mind school, just getting more than a little sick of edmonton haha.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
CaNaDiAn said:
True enough! So you are graduating this year? Congratulations. I'll just have to be happy with summer holidays in two weeks....good enough for me. I actually don't mind school, just getting more than a little sick of edmonton haha.

I never thought I was sick of school either, until I graduated last Christmas. This has been the most relaxing 4 months of my life and I'm working 40 hours a week. Too bad I messed it all up and applied for graduate school, but I can't ignore the $$ potential with a masters degree.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom