How do I get rust off of my FMF SST pipe??

Racer_x4

Aug 6, 2001
Howdy, I went riding a week or so ago when it finally snowed down here and I rode for about 20 minutes in the snow and decided to park it back in the shop, but I left all the snow and mud on my bike. Well apparently since I did that, a lot of rust formed on the bend of my pipe and in the areas where you can't get water or a towel to clean it off. I've tried using Carb & Choke Cleaner and also some SpecialTech Lubricant that is supposed to prevent rust, but all with no luck. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Hunter:confused:

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
I'd try 00 steel wool and WD 40 or something comparable. I've got an SST on my YZ 250 and living here in Oregon there's always rust on the horizon. You may need to wrap the steel wool around something to get in the "crook" of the pipe or just pull the pipe altogether (2 min. job at most). Good luck!

Dennis

P.S. If you're wondering about scratching the pipe, you could try a small area as a test spot. Just make sure you're using 00 steel wool. Our employees use it to clean mineral deposits off glass in our business with great results.
DP:)

DKT735

Sponsoring Member
Mar 16, 2000
Navel Jelly

Go down to the local hardware store or home improvement store and get some stuff called navel jelly. Follow the directions and wear some rubber gloves.

Good Luck.

Top Bottom